Help me find ammo for my new slug gun

AdamSean

I am limited to pretty much anything other than centerfire rifle and buckshot on the land I hunt on. So I opted for shotgun slugs. I picked up a brand new H&R 1871 Ultra Slug Shotgun in 20 gauge. I scoped it and bore sighted it. Now comes the time to sight it in with live ammunition.

There are a few different choices out there and I was wondering what some of you use in your 20 gauge slug gun. At the top of my list is the Hornady SST 250gr slug. Hornady has proven to be very accurate in other loads so I figured this would be a good option.

All opinions are welcome. What has been your most accurate slug?

The two best slugs I ever used were the Hornady SST and Remington Accu-Tip, both in 12ga. If I had a 20, that's where I'd start.

My slug gun favors the SST as well. It shoots 2 other brands of sabot slugs almost as well. Try what is available, you may find they are all suitable but you never know til you pull the trigger.

Welcome to the expensive world of sabot slug shooting!

I'll echo the others in trying out other brands and seeing what works. After looking at the American Slug Shooting Association (bench rest slug shooting group), they hold the H&Rs in high esteem for being accurate.

Some other slugs to consider that I have shot and seen work in other guns are the Winchester Platinum and the Lightfield EXP. My Mossberg will only shoot the Winchesters well.

SST in my 12 bores are very accurate & not as pricey as many others.
I stocked up on SST ammo last year, 100 rounds to last & last.
Then don'cha'know Ohio went rifle for this season.:D
Slug guns are now retired but the don't eat anything and could come in
handy for T-Rex should we have a season on such.

To keep the cost down, I bought some Federal Fusion to just get me on the paper. After that, I was able to get some Hornady SST. The only other brand available around here is the Lightfield EXP. As long as I can get them grouping inside a fist size, I will be plenty happy.

I agree with the others that said the SSTs. I shoot them out of my 12 gauge, my buddy shoots them out of his and his son shoots them out of a 20 gauge.

The excellent 20 gauge Winchester Partition Gold round has killed numerous wild hogs for me; many were bang flops.

i've also used the old Remington Copper Solid round on hogs; it does a good job too.

Just see your post, I purchased the same gun a couple of years ago, I have been shooting for years & have three slug guns, but I never seen such a finicky gun as the H&R ultra slug gun, I spent a lot of money getting it on the numbers, I found without doubt the Accu Tips were the best, I use the 2 3/4 I could never find the 3". with the 2 3/4 you can cloverleaf at 100 yrds very impressive. good luck

You owe it to yourself to try one box of Brenneke KO. They are kind of unique in that they tend to shoot good out of both smooth and rifled bores. They are much cheaper than sabot slugs so if they work good for you, you can shoot them and save money.

My son and my father both use 20 gauge.

My dad's has a rifled barrel, and the Hornady SST can't be beat in that barrel. There was no comparison with full size slugs.

My son's is a smooth bore, and non-sabot, full size "rifled" slugs work better in most smooth bores. The Brennekes shot the best group, and the closest to where the fixed bead was aimed in his Rem 870 youth model. The SST were so far off zero that we couldn't even get a group on paper at 50 yards.

The last two years I shot Hornady SST's, but it gets really expensive taking out coyotes with that ammo. Back in August I went to the range and tried out Winchester Super-X rifled slugs in my fully rifled Remington barrel I (I shoot a Rem. 1100). I had 3" groups at 80 yards... Shooting rifled slugs through a rifled barrel does NOT hurt the barrel at all. If done a lot, then it's a good idea to run a cleaning brush through the barrel from time to time.

I got the idea to try this from a friend who has been doing this for several years, and he's killed a lot of good deer with this setup. Besides, $13.99 for five SST's vs. $13.00 for 15 Super-X's....... well you do the math.

Back