Help me decide which one?

The Observer

I had an american uncle who want to retire in my country to enjoy his retirement pay. He is from the US Navy and turn 61 this month but he is still very strong like a wrestler. As of this time he will oftenly take long vacations in my country but prefer to live in the country side rather in the city.

Now, he asked me to buy a handgun for him. I have several pistols already but so I am planning to buy a revolver. It is for his home defense purposes.

My choice is as follows:

In .357 Magnum category {6" barrel at least}:

- Ruger
- Colt
- Smith & Wesson
- Manurhim

I appreciate your suggestions that helps me provide a reliable handgun to my American uncle.

Thanks

[Edited by The Observer on 04-11-2001 at 10:35 PM]

I would go with the Smith & Wesson or the Colt. In Smith & Wesson the model 19/66 or a 686. If you can find a Colt Python at a decent price that wouldn't be a bad choice. Ruger builds a strong gun but they have a really lousy trigger pull. I never have seen a Manurhin so I can't comment on that one.

S&W 686 hands down. The Python is a very nice gun, very smooth and but in my observation not nearly as strong. The GP100 is very tough but not normally as smooth as the others. All are good guns, but the Python may need the occasional tune-up.

No first hand knowledge of the Manurhim, sorry.

One other thing to consider is, maintenance/repair in your country. I'd wager that there is a gunsmith there who is not only familiar with S&W, he has some replacement parts in-stock. The same may hold true for Colt; but, where is the Colt company now? Besides, the Python can only aspire to the strength of the Smith, let alone the Ruger.:D Manhurin? If you don't live in France, I'd have to pass.;)

Ruger GP-100, specifically the KGP-141

I own two KGP-141s; they are exceptionally reliable and durable, very accurate, superior quality, and an outstanding value for the money (you can easily buy them new for approximately $350). Tell your uncle that another retired sailor (20 years) strongly recommended the KGP-141. You will not go wrong with this choice. In addition, regarding trigger smoothness, GP-100s are perfectly satisfactory out-of-the-box and improve over the first thousand rounds.

The Manurhin has a truely excellent trigger. If I could find one, I'd get it. Otherwise, the S&W 686. I don't think I'd get a barrel larger than 6" though.

Get thee the GP-100!

If you want a revolver that is:
a. Built stronger than your average bank vault
b. Easy to maintain, clean and work on
c. Very, very accurate
d. Extremely versatile
AND
e. Absolutely reliable

...then you need look no farther than the Ruger GP-100 series. With available 4" or 6" barrels and the wide variety of aftermarket grips (Uncle Mikes, Hogue, et al) the Ruger GP100 revolvers are just awesome.

I personally have the Ruger KGP-141 (4" barrel, full lug, adjustable sights, stainless). I know beyond any doubt this is the ONE gun I would never part with. Hell, I might buy *another* like it very soon! They are just absolutely amazing guns. Go shoot one and you'll see what I mean.

Happy Blasting,
Mntneer357

Guys - you made me hard to choose which one, you have all good explanations of good traits of every hand gun mentioned.

I have 1000 dollar bucks in the pocket for this pupose.

I have a hold on the GP100, the Colt Python, Manurhim and I could say it feels good. But I will also look around the S&W 19/66 or a 686 how does it feels to my hands. Then perhaps I could decide which one to purchase.

It is true the GP100 looks strong but the stock grip is not so much ergonomic and the ejector rod lock seems weak in terms of locking. The Colt Python trigger is smooth but seems not sturdy compared to the GP100. I haven't seen Ruger KGP-14, I am only Familiar with the GP's and SP's lines.

Thank you for the recommendations and I will report back soon which one I had bought.

Another vote for the GP100. The only advantage that the Smith has over it is the out-of-the-box trigger...but the GP100 trigger can be smoothed w/ dry firing. The Ruger gives you a stronger lockup, superior cylinder release, stronger one-piece frame with no sideplate, excellent accuracy, easier disassembly, offset notches on the cylinder and more.

Strength, reliability and accuracy. That's what I want in a revolver. Don't let the price fool you.

Greeting's All:

Looks like I'm a little late again; but here's another vote
for the S&W 686, with a 6" tube.:D I just purchased one myself, and this booger is awesome; to say the least.:)
Runner-up, my choice would be a 6" barrel Ruger Security-Six; if you can find one.:(

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Observer -- Here are some Answers to your Questions

Observer:

To answer your questions sequentially:

Q1) It is true the GP100 looks strong but the stock grip is not so much ergonomic.
A1) No, I like the stock grip -- both aesthetics and ergonomics. The GP-100 grip is the "traditional" revolver grip, which has been popular for 100+ years due to its comfort and utility in proper aiming.

Q2) Is the ejector rod lock weak in terms of locking?
A2) No, you can check the extensive TFL archives; I doubt you will find a single instance of ejector rod failure-to-function reported for any GP-100.

Q3) The Colt Python trigger is smooth but seems not sturdy compared to the GP100.
A3) The Python has a smooth trigger. As indicated in my earlier post, out-of-the-box the GP-100 has a perfectly satisfactory trigger which generally "smoothes up" over the first thousand rounds.

Q4) I haven't seen Ruger KGP-14, I am only familiar with the GP's and SP's lines.
A4) The KGP-141 is part of the GP-100 line. It is the all-stainless, four-inch barrel with full under-lug, adjustable rear sight model. It is possibly the most popular GP-100 because it is small enough to conceal, yet large enough for many other applications (hunting, home/car defense, target and plinking, etc.). I just bought my second KGP-141, new for ~$350; it is quite a value.

[Edited by RWK on 04-14-2001 at 10:26 AM]

Back