Help me decide how to scope my M1A

AEM

I bought a new "Loaded" M1A which has a "match" barrel (but apparently in the same contour as the standard barrel), match trigger and match sights. I love it, but I want to scope it. I'm just having a hard time deciding between a Scout type mount vs. a receiver mount.

I bought the rifle largely for the added long range capability over the .223. I don't have the training to really use the iron sights for long range precision shooting, and so when I shoot at anything over about 100 yds I feel that I am not really using the rifle to its full advantage. So I started thinking about scoping it.

On the other hand, I am trying to avoid the temptation to make a sniper rifle out it by buying a $250 Brookfield receiver mount and a $500 Leupold Tactical scope. Besides the money required, I feel I should stick to a bolt gun for really long range precision shooting. Also, I don't want to make the M1A unwieldy at close range with a heavy steel mount and a scope that can't crank lower than 3.5x.

So I'm leaning toward the Springfield Scout Mount and a Burris 2.75x Scout scope in QD rings. I figure this will give me enough scope to clearly see targets at 200-300 yds, and a reticle to aim with, without making the rifle useless at close range or too heavy to lug around.

Another option would be the Springfield 3rd gen. receiver mount and a 1-4x variable.

Any advice or info would be appreciated. I would really like to hear from anyone who has used the M1A Scout model, or the Scout mount on a full length M1A.

Thanks

I've had good results with the 3rd gen scope mount. It returns to zero if set up properly at the start.
I suggest you get some help learning the iron sights or sign up for a DCM match where someone would be available to assist you. (A USMC g.sgt. assisted me!) That is half the fun of shooting the M1A/14s
The whole notion that u can float a .30 cal bullet into a bulseye at 1/3 mi with iron sights is good for the self image.

Thanks, Kingcreek.

There is a club nearby which holds high power rifle matches at 100 yds (There aren't any formal ranges any longer around where I live), and I do intend to shoot some in it with the iron sights. That's one reason I want to be able to remove the scope easily. I'm glad to hear you haven't had any problems with the 3rd gen. mount. I have heard some criticism of aluminum mounts as tending to shift zero, but others report no problems.

This forum is a great opportunity to learn from the experience of others before making decisons that are important to how you will be able to use the rifle.

The 3rd gen is the only one I have used.
The key seems to be initial setup with the bushing/spacer. If it is done right there should be no torque or stress on the mount itself and it seats the same way each time it is re-installed.
It's been a long time, but if my memory swerves me (it usually does) the directions were complete. it was one of things that looked simple enough out of the box that I didn't need to read them. fought it, then went back and read the instructions. life is good now.

Back