Help me choose my next rifle

rcollier

I am planning an elk trip as an early retirement gift to me:)
I have a 25.06 I use for deer and coyotes and plan on combining the hunt with a possible Pronghorn hunt, my current set up is not suitable for elk.
Thinking of a Savage 111 308 or 7mm mag. That is what my 25.06 is and I am very happy with it.
Thanks

I did most of my western hunting with a 7 mag, which accounted for 2 elk and a mule deer. My choice for sure, but they do kick a bit more than a .308. The .308 will also serve you well. I like the Savage. I have a 116 .338 Win Mag that is my current "westerner", good accurate rifle. Don't go there, though. I got that cannon with the idea of hunting Alaska - maybe someday. It's not as ferocious as advertised, but unnecessary for elk.

You will hear from the "I hate magnums" guys and the "Elk are too tough for anything but" gang, but you can't go wrong with either of your choices.

Either of your two cartridges would be fine, but the 7mm Mag isn't necessary. Although I have taken two 5 X 5 bull elk with my .300 Win Mag, nearly all guides and outfitters I have communicated with over the years prefer their customers/clients use a .270, .280 or .30-06. They (and I) believe nearly all hunters can shoot one of these cartridges more accurately than any magnum, and all three are certainly adequate for even the largest elk. If I get another chance I'm taking my super accurate, light weight, glass bedded, free-floated .270 in a Brown Precision stock.:)

So I am fairly new to center fire rifles. What is the advantage/disadvantage of the 30-06 vs .308? From my reading it sounds as if the .308 has slightly less recoil but not as much down range energy

Unless I just wanted a new rifle, perfectly fine and I like and shot that 25-06 well I would be more inclined to simply work out a new load with premium bullets and upgrade the optics if needed.

The major difference between .308 and 30-06 is the length of the action required. I am not familiar with the Savage rifles, but I believe they come in both a short and long version. .308 is a short action, 30-06 is a long action. The .308 will recoil about the same as a 30-06 if it is in a lighter rifle, is a short action/ thinner barrel. As long as you select a good bullet designed for big game either will do. The range limitations between the two are about 100 yards less for the .308. That part will be more dependent on how well you shoot than anything else.;)

"Unless I just wanted a new rifle, perfectly fine and I like and shot that 25-06 well I would be more inclined to simply work out a new load with premium bullets and upgrade the optics if needed."

I shoot the 25-06 well, but I have been advised it may not be enough gun for elk. I don't handload so would need to find a factory load stout enough for elk.

Panfisher wrote:
Unless I just wanted a new rifle, perfectly fine and I like and shot that 25-06 well I would be more inclined to simply work out a new load with premium bullets and upgrade the optics if needed.

Well...That's kinda what I was thinking!

A Nosler 110 Ab or 120 Pt
A Speer 120 GS or 120 HC

Should be good for Elk with a 25-06.

You can certainly shoot elk with the 25-06, but most folks go with a heavier bullet. The '06 gains about 100 fps over the .308 with a 165 grain bullet, maybe more with handloads. If you check one of the on line ballistic calculators, you'll see that the gain in range is marginal. If you're going with commercial ammo, practice ammo for the .308 is likely cheaper than 30-06, and certainly cheaper than the 7 mag. If you're loading your own, of course, there's little difference. Can't go wrong with the .308, and you will get less recoil from it than the magnum knock-em-dead.

Thanks to all, I will contact the outfitter and check if they would be ok with it but I would love to use my 25-06 and the 120 gr nosler looks like the ticket!

Your 2506 is more than capable of taking an elk as long as you know where to put the bullet and are capable of doing so. I agree that the Nosler 120 grain Partition is one of the best bullets you could use. The first thing you need to do is get an accurate load - and see if your rifling will stabilize the longer bullet.

I would say .300 Win mag. I personally use 7RUM for Elk.

Why do you recommend a .300 Win Mag.? Your personal use of a 7mm RUM is fine for you, but why isn't a .270, .280, or .30-06 a good choice?

I use a Savage model 112 300 win mag. I have used it for deer in the dakota's and elk in Colorado and it has performed well. I have never used a guide or a
Outfitter so I do not know how close to the elk they can get you so maybe that's why the prefer hunter shooting those lower caliber guns. I actually shot the 300 better than my 308, 270 or my 243. If you shot a magnum a lot you get use to the recoil .

A 7 mag and 308 will both kill elk, but there are distinct differences, hardly just a matter of flipping a coin. If you choose the rifle carefully a 308 can be 2-3 lbs lighter making it easier too carry around at 8000' after elk. Buying a heavy 308 for elk hunting makes no sense.

With the best loads a 308 starts running out of gas on elk size game at around 400 yards. If you don't have the skills to take longer shots, or if weight reduction is primary a 308 is a good option.

A 7 mag will have noticeably more recoil, but to be honest it is tolerable to most people. Serious recoil starts with the 300 mags. But at 400 yards it has almost 500 ft lbs more energy and will drop more than 13" less compared to 308. You still have enough power to take elk at ranges far past 500 yards.

Not a 25-06 fan even for deer. Yes it'll kill em, but a 25-06 won't do anything a 243 won't do just as well. It can kill elk, but would be the bare minimum.

Rounds like 270, 280, 308, 7-08, 6.5, 30-06, any of the various 300 and 7mm Mags or even the 338 mags all kill elk. Heck a 30-30 will kill elk. It is just a matter of how far you can and want to take shots and how much recoil you are willing to tolerate. How much weight you are willing to lug around at high elevation in rugged country is a factor. Everything is a compromise.

For my money a 30-06 is the all around leader although a 270 or 280 would do nicely as well. Enough punch for 500+ yard shots and manageable recoil with reasonable light rifles. If someone really wants to cut weight and is willing to limit shots to around 400 yards the 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 7-08 make sense. If you want to truly go long range then the 7mm, 300, and 338 mags are your huckleberry. At the cost of heavier rifles, longer barrels, and more recoil.

Back