Help me choose a trigger lock for a Glock 30.

Sling Shot

Hello all. I would like suggestions for a trigger lock for a Glock 30. I want to be able to keep the gun loaded, but not one in the chamber, so a cable lock would not work. If the lock fit behind the trigger, this would be an ideal lock for the 30. I would want the lock to be easily accessible to me or my wife if need be. If the price of the lock could be kept in the economical range, it would better suit my budget, but I am willing to pay for a good lock, and not some expensive piece of gadgetry that does not work. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your reply. Sling Shot

[This message has been edited by Sling Shot (edited May 13, 2000).]

Thanks Spark. I just my copy today of the Dillon Blue Press, and they were advertising the Safe-T-blok. Also saw a lock called the life jacket that was advertised to fit over 250 gun models, but did not say which gun models. I believe they both work, but I am skeptical since my last purchase of a gun lock that did not work. Sling Shot

Sling Shot,

I have been using a Safe-T-Block for three and a half years with no complaints. I use it with the combonation lock when I have my G19 loaded and stashed in the locking drawer of my nightstand (just in case little hands get past the locked drawer) when I won't be in the room. I run a cable lock through the hole in the Glock storage box when I put it in the safe (I figure on making it difficult for anyone but myself to be able to put one of my guns into action). What can I say, I'm from the Department of Redundancy Department. I feel you will be well served by the Safe-T-Block, as well as a cable lock.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

Sling Shot,
I use the Speed Release. It is a trigger lock with a lighted keypad. It is powered by a 9volt battery that lasts about a year. It is an outstanding product that comes off in less than 5 seconds in total darkness. It fits the need between: a gun safe and no lock at all. you can set your own combination and the trigger assembly is totally covered. I paid 35.00 for mine several years ago. Midsouth shooters supply sells theirs for 20.22 (part number 178-1000. tn 1-800-shooter).

scottMO

I recommend a small lock box, like the GunVault, over a trigger lock. You can bolt down the GunVault, which will give you some protection against theft. And it will be more accessible than a trigger lock. You will also be able to keep the gun loaded. Jared

I ordered the saf-T-blok the other day for my G30. I'm using it for when I carry. I carry with one in the chamber so having the blok in is just a safety device. If you leave it as is with out a lock it's real easy to pop out with your index finger before you have to shoot. Probably much easier then most traditional gun safeties.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Try a Master or Sesame (are they still in business?) 4-wheel combination lock. 9,999 possible combinations, about $7-10 at your local mega-lumberyard.

These are a bit larger than the four-pin tumbler padlocks and have a solid brass body. There is a speedier option to keeping it set at 0-0-0-0, but I think you can figure that out. Do NOT use the "every number down by one" shortcut for storage. Too many goblins will try that one.

If my visual cues are correct, the little combo lock that comes with the Safe-T-Lok can be defeated by an intelligent kid age 10 or over, in three minutes or less.

Upside of combo locks--you can *always* unlock it, if your memory is reliable.

Downsides of combo locks--your opponent can defeat even the "pickproof" ones by just trying every possible combo. Operating under stress may bring mental meltdown.

Upside of key locks--you can keep the "only" key on your person and minimize unauthorized use. Takes more skill to defeat (combos require only time).

Downside of key locks--No key, you're SOL. Lose the key and your opponent has your gun. Operating under stress may bring dexterity meltdown.

Downside of all locks with no other antitheft measure--sure, it prevents immediate use, but the goblin can haul it away and defeat the lock at his/her convenience.

ALL locks/lockboxes/safes provide only a time obstacle. Given enough time, the bad person CAN defeat it.

Back