Help me build Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308

I'm looking to get some input on how to finish out my new project. Thanks in advance!

First off, here's what I'm working with:

Remington Special Purpose Synthetic/Tactical 308 w/Hogue Overmold Stock
[Model 700 SPS tactical rifle with Hogue overmold soft touch stock, dual point piller bedding for solid foundation to bed action. Two-position thumb safety. All black oxide blasted finish with 20" heavy contour tactical style barrel.]
spst4.jpg

Millett Tactical Rifle Scope TRS-1 4-16x50mm [mil-dot reticle]
milletttrs1.jpg

Intent: Zero @ 100yrds...shoot mostly at 100-500yrds, but would like to be able to attempt 800yrds

So at this point, I need to decide on which base mount and scope rings to go with.

Most importantly, I need something that is going to be very dependable, but look good at the same time.

For some reason, I think I like the look of the 'flat-top' rings(I don't see the throw arms being necessary for my uses)
yhst-50494684177512_2131_867983434

As far as a base, I've been looking at EGW, but don't know about the brand and whether or not I would need a base with MOA...
hd.jpg

So the big questions...
Steel or aluminum base and rings? What brands are going to provide the most reliability and best bang for the buck without compromising the look and feel?
Does the base mount need to have any MOA? And should I be going with high, medium, or low rings?

Last edited:
I've been reading some reviews on the TPS stuff...looks like a combo set from them might provide me exactly what I'm looking for, and for the right price.

Any input on what MOA base I should get for shooting anywhere between 100-800yrds, but mostly 100-400yrds? My scope has about 100 MOA elevation adjustment

Go ahead and get a 20 MOA base. It will let you go longer without affecting your ability to go short. I’ve got the EGW base and Burris Xtreme Tactical rings on mine. Zero issues to date.

So after considering input provided thus far, here's what I've got in my shopping cart. Looking at $150 after shipping & tax

http://swfa.com/TPS-Tactical-Scope-30mm-Rings-P41902.aspx

http://swfa.com/TPS-XP-Tactical-1-Piece-Base-P42035.aspx

Any other thoughts before I pull the trigger? (I'm assuming its not a bad thing to go with a steel base and steel rings?)

AND THE BIGGEST QUESTION...high, medium or low rings?? The scope has 30mm tube with 50mm objective lens with end caps...I want the scope to sit as low as possible but it needs to have adequate clearance :confused:

This video gives an idea of what I'm shooting for...would the TPS low rings I'm looking at have enough clearance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZpsKiNo-A

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
low or medium would be my guess. I have had to on more than one occasion send back rings after finding the height was not right for me.

Just don't tighten them up much unless u know for sure they're good for you. Don't worry about keeping the scope clearance as small as possible, you should worry more about being able to see with a good cheek weld.

Just my advice, call SWFA's number before placing your order. About 50% of the things I've wanted from them were backordered.

I have a similar set up and you should be able to get away with the med rings, as for the base I would get a Talley Picatinny rail for it they seem to be made with a little lower profile than some of the others and yes get the 20MOA base if you really want to shoot past 700 yds.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=162142

BTW I used to have that exact same scope be careful not to try and turn the turrets when they are locked, it can damage the scope. Its very easy to do. With mine I just left them unlocked.

Last edited:
Most ring manufacturers know exactly which rings fit which scopes. Call the ring manufacturer and ask them which rings will best work with your rifle, base and scope. They can probably tell you how much clearance you will have between the objective lens and the barrel.

I agree with the previous posting that as long as the scope clears, proper cheek weld is far more important than having the scope as close to the barrel as possible. Much of that depends on how the rifle fits your face.

First thngs first. Get rid of the tupperware stock, and chuck the trigger in the river.

EGW picatinny rail
Burris xtr low rings
WoTac 4X14X50
Wyatt DBM
B&C A2 Stock
Harris 6-9 bipod (swivel)
Arizona Precision bolt knob
1995 Rem trigger group 2 lbs

Skim bed the A2:
029.jpg

About $1700 USD (including rifle price) and you get:

011-4.jpg

003-6.jpg

100yds. FGMM 168 SMK

011-1.jpg

Don't you never mind

Looks great and I can't wait to see the finished results. Well done! you better take lots of photos and post them when you shoot this thing!!!!!!!!
Do you reload and if you don't, you might look into it as it allowed my 308 to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards and just under 3/4" groups at 200 yards.

Thanks for the post

50of4064:D

I'd agree with the others recommendations on rings and bases. But for stocks, I wouldn't trade my Manners T4 for anything!

Here's mine with her almost twin sister...
P5230001-1.jpg

And some proof...
DSC_0553.jpg

700SPSGroup.jpg

700SPSGroup2.jpg

So here's what I ended up with...Burris Xtreme Tactical medium rings, 20 MOA base mount, blackhawk cheekpad

attachment.php

Attachments

• 166110_721568199764_38304894_38812172_2226956_n.jpg
    166110_721568199764_38304894_38812172_2226956_n.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4,770
Wow, now thats what I'm talking about. Nice rifles guys nice rifles. Makes me feel better about my project. 700 SPS Tactical with a few upgrades and a Millet scope. I like the feel of the 20 inch barrel.

...considering trying out the millett trs-1 (2009) model...it has 1/4 moa audible clicks as opposed to the silent 1/8 clicks, and hex locks to hold the zero instead of simple tightening rings. I'm satisfied with the way it is now and its performance, but I may give the new model scope a shot and see what I like best.

Ditch the stock. Get a McMillan A5-3. Have it glass bedded. Do a tune up on the Remington receiver and then you will get it down under 1/2 inch for 5 shots with match ammo. Do get a Jewel trigger. Worth every penny. If you really want it to shoot, get a Schneider poly rifled barrel. 1/4 MOA gun if you feed it match ammo.

Back