Help installing front sight on Henry

jetinteriorguy

Hey all, I just purchased a Hiviz sight seat for my Henry Big Boy Steel and can't find any definitive methods from installing them. The rear sight is no problem, but I'm not 100% sure on the front sight. Which direction do I drive the old sight from to remove and replace it? I believe I should drive it out from left to right as looking down the barrel from the rear which is kind of the standard way of doing it, but I can't seem to verify this for sure. I'm also curious as to if it needs to be fitted and how to go about that. The manufacturer shows a video installing a front sight and fitting one for a Glock, but I'm not sure if this relates to a rifle or not.

I put a brass front sight on mine, you drive it out the same side the ejection port is on and install starting from the ejection port side. I had to file mine until it would start by hand then finished with a brass hammer and punch. Only file on one side of the “triangle”. Might have to file the bottom too.

Thanks, that’s pretty much what I thought. If this doesn’t help my old eyes I’ll have to mount a scope, which I really don’t want to do.

I have thought about them and may give them a whirl if these don’t work out. Right now with my eyes I’m having a hard time staying under 6-7” at a hundred yds. I’m hoping to get down to 3-4”. This is off bags and a good bench.

Thanks, I'll go lightly just a little at a time. In the video from Hiviz they showed just lightly sanding the bottom first holding it one way then flipping it the other way to keep it even. They used a piece of flat granite under some fine sand paper, I'll have to check the video again and see what grit they used. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and it won't need any fitting.

Back