Help identifying revolver.

Going to GUESS that it was made by Norwich Arms Company. 32 rimfire?
Probably 1880's? Norwich was a subsidiary of Hood Firearms Company.

Welcome to the forum.

I think Bill nailed it.

Very inexpensive .32 rimfire revolver of a type that was extremely common at the time. Generally lumped into a class that was called "suicide specials" because they were extremely cheap and the theory was that anyone, no matter how down on his luck, could by one to off himself/herself/itself...

cool, thank you for the info. I am assuming it has no value, so i guess ill throw it in the back of the safe.

RPB,

It has some value. First it is in reasonably good condition, at least on the outside. You didn't say anything about function. Does the hammer cock? Does the trigger release said hammer? Does the cylinder index properly when the hammer is cocked?

If it does all those things it is at least a representative example of a class of popular handguns during that time period. At least in the towns and cities it was probably as common to find someone carrying a gun like yours every day as someone toting around a Colt SAA or S&W No 3.

It's a real piece of history. Treasure and enjoy it!

Dave

I hope no one minds a small hijack- that is a fascinating old gun. I immediately notice the grips are in fine shape.

What did they used to make grips like that from? What is the material? I assume it’s some ancient plastic like India Rubber?

Generally those old grips were made from Gutta Percha, which was derived from the sap of a tree in South Asia. It becomes brittle over time, so you have to handle it with care if you're attempting to remove the grips from a gun of this age.

"If it does all those things it is at least a representative example of a class of popular handguns during that time period. At least in the towns and cities it was probably as common to find someone carrying a gun like yours every day as someone toting around a Colt SAA or S&W No 3."

In a thread here a few years ago I opined that guns of this type -- relatively inexpensive single and double action solid or hinge frame revolvers -- did more to "make men equal" than Col. Colt ever did.

Guns in this class were produced in MASSIVE quantities, were chambered for decently powerful cartridges that made them useful for self-defense, and were far more affordable than one of the large frame 6 shooters from Colt, S&W, or Merwin & Hulbert.

My Great Grandfather was a ranch hand in the Dakotas at the end of the wild west era. His "cowboy" gun was an H&R breaktop double action in .32 S&W. I've got it, and I've shot it. I suspect, in fact, that I shot it a lot more than my Great Grandfather ever did.

I suspect that the vast majority of "cowboys," especially those who didn't participate in large cattle drives, were really similarly armed.

Back