Help Identifying Model 70

CTS

I have a Winchester Model 70 chambered in .243 that, according to the serial number, was built in 1971. Problem is my blue book only lists a Model 70 standard chambered in .243 that could have been built in that year. It says the standard was made from 1965-1980. It also says that it came with a 22" heavy barrel, Monte Carlo stock, open sights and sling swivels. My rifle has (or had in the case of the open sights) all of the above except it doesn't appear to be a heavy barrel and it also has black grip cap, fore end cap and butt plate, all with white line spacers, checkered grip and fore end and a hinged floor plate.
Just curious because this doesn't really look like what I would consider a standard model.

Attachments

• .243 001.jpg
    .243 001.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 49
That is a standard model for that period. About that same time, Winchester began dressing up their rifles in order to compete with the Remington 700 BDL, which also came with grip cap, black forend cap, and white line spacers. The plain-Jane model offered at that time was the 770 or 670.

I cannot recall exactly, but I do believe that 243 came in several configurations.

Yes, according to Fjestad it came in the Standard model 65-80, Featherweight 81-94, Classic Featherweight new in '92, the Lightweight 87-95, the Sporter 89-93, Classic Stainless new 94, Classic Synthetic Matte, new in 93, it's quite a list but, the only ones made in 1971 were the Standard and the Varmint model which had 26" heavy barrel. At any rate, I guess this is a Standard model that I have. I know that it is a tack driver, probably the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that looks like standard model with nice straight grain walnut. Bases look like Weaver style and rings look like Tasco. Very good rifle and cartridge !!! :D

Back