Help Identifying Cylinder

Tinndn

Inactive
Good Morning. I recently purchased a lot of gun parts and one of the items was this cylinder. I think that it might belong to a Ruger convertible, but I am not sure. Also, someone engraved some numbers and a letter on the chambers. I really don't know what those would be for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 64
Sure looks like a Ruger to me.
It might be the 9mm from a Blackhawk Convertible... or it might be the .357.
Poke some cartridges at it and see which.
The numbers are likely the serial number of the gun it went to.

I too am seeing Ruger

Sure looks like a Ruger to me.
To me as well. I know that Ruger marks "some of their convertibles, in this manner. Blackhawk is also my measure. Even the method of etching the numbers is the same as other Rugers I have seen. The "Alpha" character is new to me but there is a logical reason. ...... :confused:

The numbers are likely the serial number of the gun it went to.
More than likely, the last three digits of the serial number. .. :)

Be Safe !!!

Apparent undersize throats (and charge holes) are largely due to trying to take an ID measurement with the flat blades of an ordinary caliper.
The true test will be to see what round will fit.

Just checked one of the cylinders of a Blackhawk .45 convertible made in the early 80s, not a marking on it...

I would also point out that about ALL the SA cylinders of the same size are going to look very similar...

Some are not !!!

Just checked one of the cylinders of a Blackhawk .45 convertible made in the early 80s, not a marking on it...

In my previous reply, I wrote;
I know that Ruger marks "some" of their convertibles, in this manner.
Then I have seen some that were not. I am not aware of the logic or criteria? In past years, I have seen a number of orphaned cylinders and can't help wondering how they lost their way. I also knew a parts guy who could tell you the manufacturer of a cylinder just by holding it. Sadly, he is gone .... :(

Be Safe !!!

Back