Help Identifying a Trapdoor Rifle

djandp

Inactive
Can anyone help? Only identifying marks we know are ELG with a mark below it. Easy to find firearms that are similar but none that have this type of action

*Some pictures are 2MB-4MB so I posted mostly links - Can take higher quality marking photos or whatever if needed.

a3a.jpg

a7a.jpg

Picture 2 High Quality

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Picture 7

Last edited:
The ELG in oval and the perron (the candlestick) mark identify it as a Belgian copy made in Liege.

PS.: The long lever is unusual, looks like it's a single-move opening and cocking lever. The original trapdoor design required a two-step process, first cocking the lock, then unlocking and opening the trapdoor

Last edited:
It is a Belgium copy of a Reilly Comblain, however, having typed that I have to admit that I am not that smart, this question was answered on another forum by deadin.

It doesn't appear to be a copy of the U.S. trapdoor or even the same concept. It looks like the breechblock is jointed (like a Luger pistol) and that the lever raises the toggle in the middle and draws back the front part to load. Also, it is not clear whether the projection is a nipple or a firing pin, that is whether the gun is percussion cap fired or uses a fixed cartridge.

In any case, it is interesting and I don't think I have ever seen anything like it.

Jim

Back