Help identifying a rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGSO 17-112

Inactive
This rifle was given to me when I was helping clean out some family items. My family did not know the history behind it and figured since I am the gun guy of the family I should have it. The gun itself is a little ruff and needs to be cleaned up. I have no clue of the manufacturer, make, caliber, value, etc...I'm pretty much in the dark about this one. Any help that can be offered is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Come on, CGSO, give us SOMETHING to work with!

All any of us can tell you right now is that you have a GUN.

You're going to have to either come up with some clear photographs or some information from the markings on the gun itself.

Your rifle

Your rifle is a Spencer rifle made during the 1860s. Judging by SN, your rifle was most likely used by the Union during the civil war. You may have noticed that your rifle has a butt stock magazine which has a capacity of 7. Caliber for your rifle is 56-56 rimfire. Good luck finding that cartridge, I don't believe its been made for quite sometime. Since your gun is all original, I think you got a pretty neat rifle. Approx value for a spencer in the condition shown is $1000. Congrats.

And don't listen to these guys that say they can't see your rifle. All it takes is a little imagination ;)

Spencer my butt. That's an original iron frame Henry in .44 Henry Flat. Even in the shape it's in you can just about name your price. :D

I am going to side with the Spencer ID. In fact, it looks exactly like this one being held by Geronimo. If you notice the scuffing on the butt, I think this is the rifle you have. Not one "like" it, but the actual rifle that belonged to Geronimo before he was captured and jailed at Ft Sill, OK.

With a provenance such as that, it could easily be worth 100K or more.

r605018828.jpg

bob

OK, my best guess is that this was either:

1. A thread where the OP simply forgot to include a picture, or

2. A joke.

In either event, I'm shutting it down before it gets out of hand.

CGSO,

If you do have a rifle you don't know anything about, please feel free to create another thread, but this time you need to give us something tangible to work with, preferably pictures.

Otherwise, it's just a waste of bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back