help identifying a double rifle

taliv

Inactive
Greetings, all

I'm trying to identify a double rifle for a friend of mine. He was a medic in WWII and brought it back from Germany. It is quite attractive and fairly light for a double. It appears to be a .375 H&H, but I'm not 100% certain about that; I just measured the muzzle with a ruler and eyeballed the chamber.

Without taking it apart, the only really distinguishing verbage is "H LINK WHITTENBURG" engraved along the top of the rail that separates the two barrels. I couldn't find a serial number or a manufacturer's stamp or anything.

Also, it has hammers, and isn't an underlever.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

I can be contacted at tom@taliv.net

regards,

More than likely a 9.3x72mm if it has hammers, but with a million small shops turning these out in the pre war Germany, it could be any thing! Make a chamber cast, mike it and look in the Metric section of "Cartridges of the Worlds" by Barnes.

pics

by the way, i took some pics and put them online. they are rather large (~800k each) so you might want to plan ahead if you don't have a high speed connection.

the last 3 files on my site http://www.taliv.net/guns are of the double-rifle in question. (start at the bottom and go up)

the rest of the files on that page were pictures I took of Roy Acuff's SWEET gun collection on display in the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN. I'm no photographer, but I'm sure this crowd can still appreciate the 12-bores, 8-bores and 4-bores. There's no admission, but you will probably have to pay for parking. If you get a chance, I'd recommend checking it out.

Back