Help identify

BoogieMan

I am looking for a little more info on this rifle I got from my father. It looks to be modded somewhat. Has a monticarlo stock, chanbered 30-06 I am told that it an argentinian mauser. If anyone knows more about it I would love to hear it. I plan to put a good high power 8-24 or so on it and see how far I can shoot with boxed ammo. If you need more pics to make an ID just let me know. I think this covers all the proof marks. Can it be dated by serial number?
IMAG0241.jpg

2-C6CA81CF-588840-800.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

Definitely a Model 98, has the third lug on the bolt. Others more experienced can say if Argentinian. Should be quite suitable as a hunting gun. Goat

Nice rifle and the scope appears to be an old steel tube Weaver made in El Paso TX.

I'm not a M98 expert by any means but there is not enough pictures to tell, but the crest on the front receiver ring doesn't look like any Argentine I've seen. Take a picture of the left side of the receiver with the scope base removed. If it is a 1909 Argentine Mauser the bottom metal isn't correct for the rifle. Take a picture of the barrel markings as well.

Here is a link to a 1909 Argentine Mauser action. You'll see the crest isn't correct on the front receiver ring and that the trigger guard/bottom metal isn't correct. So I'd say your rifle isn't an Argentine Mauser and if it is it isn't the DWM 1909, which would be the most desireable one.

Some other things that might help you is that the scope you are talking about will not work on that rifle without paying a gunsmith to work on that rifle. To make it work you are going to need new scope bases to make any other scope work.Your current scope mount is a side mount and the rings that hold the scope just aren't tall enough for a scope like you are talking about, plus the main tube on most scope will not be long enough to work with your current base and rings.

The reason the power range of scope you are wanting to mount will not work, is because you objective lens will have to probably stay around 40mm or less to keep it from touching your barrel. The next reason is that is a long action and since the rear ring is so far forward and most modern scopes have much shorter main tube than your vintage scope. You probably couldn't get the eye relief correct to allow the proper field of vision through the scope.

So what you would more than likely have to do is remove the side mount scope. Take the rifle to a gunsmith and have him drill and tap bot receiver rings for a new base. That will usually run about $15-20 per hole minimum of three holes for a one piece base and four for a two piece, and around another $75-100 for the base and rings. Then you are looking at a minimum of $300 for a decent 6-24 power scope to put on there.

Next problem is your stock, it isn't a Monte Carlo stock, it is more of Classic hunting stock. If you have to go with a scope that will cause you to have to use medium to high rings your going to have problems getting the proper cheek weld unless you have a face like a horse. I think you'll have too much drop at the heel of your stock to keep your eye from getting proper alignment with any scope that has to be mounted higher.

Check out Richard's Microfit sporter style stocks to see the difference. When you scroll down the page you'll see Monte Carlo and either the Old Classic or Modern Classic which your stock seems to be more of the last two. A Monte Carlo style stock would lend itself better to getting your eye in alignment with the scope if you have to mount it higher.

Last edited:
Has a monticarlo stock, chanbered 30-06 I am told that it an argentinian mauser.
Not a Monte Carlo stock, not an Argentine Mauser. Monte Carlo stocks have a raised comb, Argentine Mausers have hinged floorplates. What you have if I am not mistaken is a commercial Husqvarna Carl Gustav M98 rifle, probably made in the 1950s.

If that old Weaver scope has a 1" tube, don't mess with drilling and tapping the receiver, just replace the scope with a 2-7 or 2.5-8 Leupold. That is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle. I believe you will find accuracy to be only fair on those old rifles, good enough for hunting but it will likely never win a target match.

Your right about that bottom plate. The link you showed is clearly hinged and mine is not. My father modded it slightly so that you can push the button in front of the trigger guard and slide the bottom plate to empty shells. Great links for stocks by the way. I probably wouldn't re-stock this rifle but I have another in mind. As far as the scope mounting I have several ideas on how to go about it. As I said I have a fair size machine shop. I may work off of the side mount scope or try and mount a rail/rings on top.
I still want to make a positive ID on the manufacture and date so I will try and get up some better pics. The only stamp I found on barrel was the 30-06 I have another Springfield action to identify after this one then some question on an old JC Higgens .22lr that is a tack driver.

As far as the scope mounting I have several ideas on how to go about it. As I said I have a fair size machine shop. I may work off of the side mount scope or try and mount a rail/rings on top.

If you have a machine shop Fab up a new scope base using the existing holes in the receiver. I wouldn't drill and tap any new holes in it just to mount a new scope if you have the skills and equipment to make a new base. I'd build it like a Weaver rail one piece base so you can have multiple positions to mount the scope for correct eye relief.

I agree with Scorch on the scope choices and the accuracy to expect. You can get the scope dimensions from Leupold's web site to know if the tubes are long enough to get the proper eye relief. Plus the Scopes mentioned have close to 4" of eye relief and a very forgiving eye box. As far as accuracy voes if you can hold 3 shots to under 1.5" you will have a good hunting rifle to 300+ yards, if it shoots better than that you have a great hunting rifle.

I did some more searches. Like someone said it appears to be Belgium under Leopold. So its no newer than 1951. From what I read there is always a date below the crest. This one has no date. What I am assuming is the serial number is low. Like in the 5000's i will get some better resolution camera (vs phone) pics tonight.

I dont know what it is, I know its some kind of Mauser, but Man its Sweet:D
The Scope to me looks like a Sheperd, long range scope.
Thats a Beautifull Rifle, Sorry I couldnt help you but I wanted to at least compliment you on your fine Rifle.

not sure of the scope but the gun itself is definitely a mauser clone bearing Belgian proofs. if it's in 30-06 then it might be using a modified 1903 bolt(I've heard that the two are pretty similar) and a rebarrel which would account for the freshly blued appearance of the barrel. in all it is a gorgeous rifle that would be perfect for hunting or admiring as a family heirloom but with the level of modifications done to it, it holds very little collector value left.

Back