help identify

dlgman

Inactive
I'm sorry if I do this wrong or poorly. I need help with this rifle built in Suhl Germany in 1877. I hope It's worth a fortune so I can keep playing with new toys. If not a fortune I want to put it back into battery and use the old girl.

attachment.php

DSC01433.jpg

attachment.php

DSC01437.jpg

attachment.php

DSC01476.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I got them posted inline for you, dlgman. No problem. But man, those are some huge pics!

Let's move this to Harley's Research Forum and leave a redirect from General and see what you get.

Some overall pictures would definitely help, but they don't need to be as high-resolution; nevertheless, going by the "M.71" in the first photo, I'd say it's one of the versions of the M1871 Mauser, built by several German arsenals, and chambered for the 43 Mauser cartridge. We'd need the barrel length to know if it's one of the carbine or rifle versions, and there should be additional marks on the receiver, showing whether it was built at Danzig, at Spandau, at Mauser, and so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_Model_1871

During the Franco-German war of 1870/71, the Dreyse needle gun proved inferior to the newer French Chasepot. The Model 71 was the first German military rifle to use a metal cartridge (while still with paper wrapped bullet), in the (for the time small) 11 mm caliber. It was replaced in 1888 by the Model 88, which itself only lasted 10 years until the Model 98 of WWI and WWII fame came along.
These rifles are not too rare since they were never used in war and got sold off often in mint condition; usually they bring around $1000 on gunbroker.

Back