Help Identify This Flint Derringer

I am trying to find any information about this pocket pistol. Overall length is 8", barrel is 4", about 36-40 cal. It has no proof marks, so I assume American manufacture. I have looked at all the pictures in Flayderman's and an image search on Google and this one seems to have a unique hammer. It does not have an "S" curve. The screw to tighten the flint jaws has a small hole to insert a bar to tighten instead of a slot for a screwdriver. Hopefully my picture will upload and one of you experts will know something about it.

Attachments

• 0106171117.jpg
    0106171117.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 71
Those pictures are rather artistic, but of no help at all in identifying the gun or its maker. Good closeups of the lock plate and any markings on any parts would be of more help.

Some general thoughts. If original (and not a modern copy), the lock would date the gun to between roughly 1800 (when the double neck cock came into use) and 1840 (when flintlocks pretty much gave way to percussion locks).

The hole in the cock would be consistent with that dating. I believe the gun was cut down, possibly from a military type pistol, though the caliber is rather small for that. The lock appears to be original to the stock, or at least has been on there for a long time, but the lock has been altered at some time (note the hole in the lockplate which does not seem to have any purpose.

Jim

Back