Help identify S&W

Akguy

Inactive
I have a older .22 smith & wesson that i purchased used in 1975 and would like to know its model number/ designation , production date and any thing else you might be able to tell me. Its serial number " K 2017## " is stamped on both the butt and rear of the cylinder. Yet on the frame and yoke are the numbers 26510 with an "A" above and a "3" below the numbers on the frame. The guy I bought it from at the time said he thought it was a .22/32 Kit Gun and i just assumed it was a K-22. Can any one help. Thanks

1975? Took you a while to get curious about it, didn't it? Or were you waiting for Al Gore to invent the Internet so you could ask as widely as possible?

I think the "K" prefix to the serial number is a dead giveaway that you have a K-22 and not a .22-32 Kit Gun. At least ol' No K210022 here is a K-22; or actually a Combat Masterpiece, being that it has a four inch barrel instead of six. The other numbers are known as fitting numbers to keep track of the gun and major parts at the factory until a serial number is assigned. I don't know for sure but assume the A and 3 are inspectors' marks; mine has a K and a 5 there.

Age? I don't know except that it was made before 1957 or it would have a model number on the frame under the yoke. So it doesn't really have a model number, they did not assign them until 1956-57. The 6" K-22 then became the Model 17; the 4" Combat Masterpiece like mine was assigned as Model 18.

Thanks Jim for the info and your right it has taken me a long time to get curious about it. Its been my familys number one plinker/camp gun and is seldom left home. My youngest has always had his heart set on owning it so before I give it to him I wanted to pass on what information I can about it Once again thanks.

Back