help identify please

georgedexter

Inactive
better pictures at last thread reply

Hi, Got this one from an auntie who had no clue. It's only markings are "7070d". Long rifled barrel,possable letters wg on top. Any body recognize make or model? Thanks glad I found you guys.(and gals).. George Dexter

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 144
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 103
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Austrian Werndl, probably a Model 1873 Infantry Rifle, judging by the front barrel band.

A few seconds out on the web and I found this...

67Werndl02.jpg

Go to this page. You'll find a lot of information...

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Austria/67Werndl.htm

Looks alike except one has an internal hammer and the other an external hammer. From the lock's action, you can see how it's a transitional gun utilizing a back action lock. Betcha in the one GeorgeDexter shows it has a sear/hammer combo. Saved themselves a part that way. :p

"Looks alike except one has an internal hammer and the other an external hammer."

Say what?

To the best of my knowledge, ALL Werndl designs used an external hammer. The rotary breechblock would have made it very difficult to do an internal hammer.

The 7070d could be just about anything from a serial number to a marking added much later.

There should be QUITE a few markings on this rifle, from manufacturer to proofs.

"I think it is a Spanish Eibar region Basque knock-off."

That would be the first I've ever heard of the Spanish copying the Werndl, which had limited distribution and use.

I see what I believe are signs of crude work. If you loo closely, there are angular differences between the hammers, there is a marked variance in the trigger and the angles of the piece behind the trigger assembly. The whole piece seems crude in construction.

To be honest, I noticed some discrepancies, too, but I think there are a number of viable explanations for that, ranging from a training rifle to a contract-made rifle to poorly done repairs.

Again, I've never heard of anyone making copies of the Werndl, but am definitely open to that possibility.

BETTER PICTURES of WERNDL

Still not finding LOTS of markings. Mostly #7070 and tiny "wg 881"
Also some small numbers and letters/crest carved in bottom of stock by rear sling. I think this makes it an 1881. Hope the better pix get you guys thinking somemore. Thanks. Drove 300 miles today to pick up an outboard.
Setteling down now for some hotdogs and beans.

Attachments

• MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 49
  • MVC-020S.JPG
    MVC-020S.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 45
  • MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 44
WG881 is a typical marking style for Werndls (and pretty much all Austrian firearms).

The 7070d could be a serial number.

I'm seeing nothing that makes me think that this is anything other than an authentic Austrian Werndl.

Back