Help ID this SxS Ithaca shotgun:

cpileri

It has been in the family for at least 90 years by oral tradition (i.e. storytelling) it has been re-blued at some point.
I have included pictures.
I know it is an Ithaca because it is written on the thing! But I can't find the year, make, model, etc.
It is either 10 or 12ga.
Is it blackpowder?
is it worth anything?
Please help, and thanks for your time!
Carl

Attachments

• topviewxxxengraving.jpg
    topviewxxxengraving.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 68
Ithaca ID

Cpileri:

Based upon the markings on your gun and that which is indicated in the 1999 Standard Catalog of Firearms, this shotgun appears to be the Ithaca Baker Model.

This was the first model made by Ithaca and was designed by W.H. Baker, and was mfg'd between1883 through 1887. From the serial no. on your receiver I would estimate that it was one of the earlier guns, However, I don't know what sequence Ithaca numbered their shotguns.

The gun was offered in six grades, with a price of $35.00 for Grade A, to $200.00 for grade F. Your grade appears to be Grade A, as it appears some-what plain, no engraving, as indicated in the higher grades. The value in 1999, (catalog) was from $500.00 down to $100.00.

These guns were made in 10ga and 12 ga. As a rule of thumb, take a dime and try to place it in the muzzle. If the dime enters it would indicate 10ga, if the dime doesn't go it is 12ga. This is not an accurate reading and really a barrel gauge should be used to determine the actual size.

To fully and accurately value the gun, and it's history an expert appraisel should be saught.

HJN

Back