Help ID this little guy

Bud Helms

Here are some pics I took of an old single shot cartridge loader that belongs to an acquaintance of mine. I haven't a clue what it is, but I can just imagine it stuck in a Mississippi Gambler's vest pocket.

Any one know what this is?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0005_2.jpg
    DSCF0005_2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 470
  • DSCF0006-2.jpg
    DSCF0006-2.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 463
  • DSCF0008_2.jpg
    DSCF0008_2.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 453
More pics ...

attachment.php

attachment.php

This next one is disappointing because it shows some important detail and I must have jumped a half inch when the shot came. If it will help ID the piece I can reshoot it.

attachment.php

It occurs to me that I did not look at the breechface to see if it was a centerfire or rimfire. Nor did I make any attempt to estimate the muzzle diameter. I will check those details unless someone is positive of an ID. I may try a pic of the breechface and reshoot the fuzzy one above while I'm at it.

Attachments

• DSCF0004_2.jpg
    DSCF0004_2.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 459
  • DSCF0007_2.jpg
    DSCF0007_2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCF0003_2.jpg
    DSCF0003_2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 450
And as a matter of trivia, Colt purchased National and the little derringer became Colts " Third Model Derringer ".

I dunno, Mike. Nine minutes for the answer. I think you're slipping. ;)

Can you get another pick with the action open? Looks pretty cool!

National Arms Co. Brooklyn New York 1865 1870

Former Moores Patent Firearms Co.

.41 r.f. caliber, single shot deringer

Mike Ewrin is correct

Attachments

• NATIONAL ARMS JPEG.jpg
    NATIONAL ARMS JPEG.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 50
Can you get another pick with the action open? Looks pretty cool!

Yeah, I'll try to get a good clear one of the action open and of the beech face. I'll stick a ruler up on the muzzle too.

Actually, the National (Moore) Second Model derringer became the Colt Second Model; the Colt Third Model (Thuer) is a side turn type. That is a National, as the Colt frame was a little different as were the grips. The caliber is .41 Short rimfire.

I make a value WAG at around $1000 in that condition. Colts, needless to say, go for more.

Jim

Last edited:
Back