Help ID Rifles, Please

lancemueller

Inactive
Good day. I would like to know what information i can on this pair of .22 pump rifles that have been in my family for years> ie when they were made, country of origin, what the stamps on the side mean, What they may be worth. Any help is greatly appreciated.

SAM_0126.jpg

SAM_0130.jpg

SAM_0121.jpg

SAM_0120.jpg

SAM_0122.jpg

SAM_0123.jpg

You have two FN "Trombone" pump action .22 rifles.

The roll mark on top of the barrel is a clue.

Fabrique Nationale D'Armes D Guerre Herstal Belgique
Roughly translated as national manufacturer of arms of war in Herstal, Belgium. Usually abbreviated simply FN and a major maker of firearms since the 1880s, builder of guns for Browning until they went to Japan for most of their products.

Browning's Patent Depose (filed) shows it was designed by John Browning for FN, as he did a lot of other guns. Few were sold in the USA.

The stamps on the side of the barrel are Belgian proof test marks.

Since there is no letter in the serial numbers, they were made before 1958 and there is no record of manufacture. The (star) C in the proof marks represents an inspector who worked in the Belgian proof house from 1924-1948 so that is not much help.

One with better metal condition but a cracked and taped stock sold for $281.

Even a nice refinish of metal and wood would cost that much and a true restoration back to new appearance would be much, much more.

I saw one in nearly new condition advertised for $750... but not selling.

I would just clean them up and shoot them. They are not common in the USA but that does not make them valuable unless pristine.

They are marked as .22 Long, not Long Rifle, so ammo can be hard to find at some gun shops even though Aguila makes it. They may work with LR, but the carrier may be too short for the longer LR cartridge.

Jim

I saw that and wondered at the liklihood of a gun actually being made for .22 Long only from 1924. It might just be a Belgian Oddity of marking. I'd try some LR in it and see how they functioned and shot.

Back