Help -- ID ??mauser bolt

ocdcr

Inactive
I was given this from a step grandfather who passed away several months ago. I know he spent much time overseas in the 1940s-1960s, as I heard many exciting stories. I got some of the relics he brought home. Mostly knives/edged weapons. I know nothing about where he got this or anything. Just that I was told it is a mauser bolt. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

http://picasaweb.google.com/117495859341518210903/Mauser#

I am not sure about the Markings, but it looks like you have either a Sweedish or Turkish Reciever and Bolt. Nicely Jewelled.
You could turn that into a very beautifull Rifle.
Thats probably what your Grandfather had in mind when he picked it up.
A good Barrel, and Stock and your in business.

I do plan on getting a stock and barrel eventually. I am new to the site, but a little familiar with firearms. Over the past few months I have about become obsessed with WWI and WWII weapons. Mainly Garands and 1903s. Spent countless hours reading and searching the net on them. This bolt has been sitting wrapped up on a shelf for about 4 months and I thought about it today and thought about trying to get some history on it. Searched gunbroker, auction arms, etc to find something similar. No luck. Thanks again for all the input.

Last edited:
MR ODcr

You have more than a bolt there, You have a Complete action.
Its definately a mauser.
I know the feeling, I am obsessed with World War two firearms as well.

Unless my eyes deceive me (your pic isn't very clear on my box), you have a Argentine 1909 Mauser 98 action, with nice aftermarket engraving & polish/bluing, ready to be assembled into one of the most desireable custom rifles, with the most preferred action for custom rifles, the world over.

It's identifiable by the receiver crest, which shows it was once issued as an "Engineer's Carbine".:

file.php

Last edited:
I tried to post some clearer photos of the markings/emblem on the receiver. One marking looks like a swastika. The other looks like a bow and arrow inside a "sun" like emblem. Also, on the undersurface of the receiver there appears to be a worn swastika by the SN. There are no words or numbers other than the SN several places on the receiver, safety, bolt, trigger, trigger action??. Thanks again for looking and all help

Attachments

• 100_1506.jpg
    100_1506.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_1511.jpg
    100_1511.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
On top of the Chamber it apears to be a Bow and Arrow, surounded by a gear like pattern.

This is the most interesting reciever I have ever seen.

Sorry, PetahW, but that is not a 1909 Argentine, wrong bolt stop and wrong floorplate. And the swastika is not a Nazi swastika, the arms point the wrong way. I have never seen one like it, but then there were literally hundreds of countries and personal guard groups that ordered Mausers from all the makers. My guess would be some Asian group, but since the receiver has been polished and engraved, I am sure it was scrubbed, so those markings may have been added for whoever paid for the engraving.

MR Scorch

Look at the Safety, It does not look like a Mauser 98 German Safety, or a VZ 24 or Yugo.

It looks like the safety on the Turkish Mausers, and the Sweedish Mausers.
One thing is for certain, Thats a beautifull action, and would make a nice rifle.
Did you notice all the 7s on the action? Its very awesome looking.

One thing is for certain...

...it's a 1907 Chinese Mauser. :)

BTW TX Hunter, I'm not sure why you think the safety looks odd. Thats a standard model 98 safety and looks no different than other factory Model 98 safety.

Last edited:
I talked to some family and was updated. My step grandfather was a combat photographer/documenter in eastern asia (Burma, etc) areas in WWII and in Korea . Not sure if he got much on the western fronts in WWII. Most edged weapons appear to the india/burma and phillipino.

Also, research quickly more on the swastika and realize it has an extensive history, just initial instinct it nazi. But from my reading, does not appear to be nazi.

Also, research quickly more on the swastika and realize it has an extensive history, just initial instinct it nazi. But from my reading, does not appear to be nazi.

The "swastika" has been used by the Buddhists for centuries and is still in use today. It's a fairly common marking on a lot of rifles used by Asian countries around the turn of the century. And no in this particular instance it doesn't have anything to with the nazis.

I've seen several claims on the web that the Bow and Arrow marking is a Chinese administration stamp that wasn't used until the mid 1940s, and only on Mausers manufactured in China under license.

Thank you for posting better pics - your action is most definitely not an Argi.

FWIW, the rectangular receiver ring panel with ideographs within is a Chinese arsenal stamp.

AFAIK, the "China Standard Model (Arsenal #21)" emblem from Lapin's Inscriptions in Non-Western Languages chapter describes it as the one with the swastika in it rather than the star or diamonds.

If the action is, in fact, a Czech 98/22 made for China, it will have a small "z" stamped into the bottom.
If not, then it's a Chinese copy of the Mauser 98.

If it's a copy, I would have a gunsmith give it a hardness test, before I sunk one penny into it for making a custom rifle.

That bow and arrow plus the marking identifies it as the so-called Chiang Kai-Shek Model short rifle, made in China under license from Mauser. There usually is a date below the Chinese marking. BTW, that marking does include a backward swastika, but it is not a Nazi symbol.

See Ball, 4th Edition, Page 97.

Jim

Back