Help ID a Remington bolt-action?

Mike Davies

A friend called me from a far-flung region of the country, and asked me if I could help him ID a Remington bolt-action rifle that belongs to his step-father. It is chambered in 7mm Mauser, and has the following numbers on it: CIL972C and MAG35743.
Any help would be very much appreciated!

Sorry, Mike, there's simply not enough information there to make a definitive identification.

Could be any of a number of models.

The best way to tell would be with a picture.

Hi, Gents:
Likely the CIL stands for Canadian Industries Limited who marketed quite a number of guns under their own name and model number. Anschutz and Savage made most of them. Checking a Weaver scope mount base list shows that a C-I-L 972-C takes the 45 and 46 bases, same as a large ring Mauser. The C usually means Clip magazine (I know). Parker-Hale was the main source of clip magazine large ring Mausers at the time C-I-L was in the gun business, so I'm 95% sure that's what your friend has.

http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/weaver_mount_chart.pdf

Bye
Jack

Thanks Mike...yes, the info on the rifle is sparse...I'm not even convinced that it IS a Remington. (You gonna drop in to the Swede's Old Farts Forum from time to time...?)
JackM: Yes, the CIL portion of the numbers that I was provided did make me wonder if this was one of the CIL rifles (he was adamant that is was a Remington..)....In that case, it would most likely (as you say) be a Savage. I'll pass that on to the fellow.
Thanks!

Hi, Mike:
It's not a Savage. That's a C-I-L 950-C. The Savage action is easy to recognize by the nickle-sized screw in the back of the bolt. It's most likely a Mauser action Parker-Hale. Ask your friend if the extractor is a long spring or bar on the outside of the bolt that doesn't turn with the bolt. If it has that style extractor, it's a Mauser action. Remington extractors are inside the bolt head.

7mm Mauser isn't a regular Parker-Hale calibre, but 7mm Remington Magnum is. The serial number implies that. Maybe that's where he got the idea it's a Remington.

Bye
Jack

Jack:
That makes sense...I won't get a chance to talk to him again until monday: I'll pass on your info and see what he comes back with.
Thanks,
Mike

Back