Help! I want to import a Rifle from U.S to another country

rifler

Inactive
Hi people,
I'm rifler. I'm chilean and i want to buy my first rifle, but here they are too expensive(2 times or more), so i decided to buy it individually as a particular person, because i think that could be more cheaper.

Let's go to the target....(Boom)
I want to buy a Thompson center Arms Venture with Weathershield in .270 winchester, after that i want to see if i can buy aftermarket stock(synthetic),scope(a good cheap one like sightmark and that things), and a pair of ammunition. The problem is that i cant find how to do it, i have heard that the only way is by a international guns dealer or importer, if that is true you have one to recommend me?. I'm open to all types of suggestions like change rifle, scope,ammo etc.

:P

Hola. No es legal para un ciudadano privado en los EE. UU. exportar un fusil del EE. UU., y no es legal que una tienda ordinaria de fusiles exporte un fusil. Todo exporta de los EE. UU. debe atravesar a una persona o una compañía que tiene una licencia para exportar las armas. Estos son las compañías especializados. Yo no sé qué compañía para recomendar. Usted los puede encontrar en el Internet por buscando con Google, pero estar seguro leer los comentarios. Algunos de estas compañías son honestas, y algunos de ellas son poco honrados e informales.

Buena suerte.

Welcome aboard, Rifler.

If rifle prices seem too extreme, you probably haven't looked too hard. Bolt action rifles chambered in 270 Winchester are pretty common. If you don't need that particular caliber, you will probably find other Thompsons in that model chambered in another round similar enough to meet your needs. If you absolutely need a particular X brand and caliber, that combination might be a bit harder to come across, but going to a foreign country to buy that model would undoubtedly be more expensive as you pay twice for shipping and any special fees to cross borders.
I would recommend that you take a breath and be patient. You can go on weekly visits to local pawn shops to see if one shows up. To throw a wider net, you also can cruise various on-line sites to see if your desired rifle shows up. Maybe larger box store chains like Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas might be selling last years Thompsons for sale prices.

In any case, you will have to undergo the usual background checks before you take ownership.

Happy Shooting.

doofus47 said:
...you will have to undergo the usual background checks before you take ownership.
Under normal circumstances, this requires establishing lawful residency in the United States, or possession of a valid hunting license if visiting the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa.

That said, this matter is most likely best handled by a professional importer in Chile who specializes in such transactions, which is a topic well beyond the scope of this forum.

Last edited:
A little more info...

One potential pitfall is that, in order to export arms from the U.S., one normally has to get permission from the Department of State (Dos) under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). This is separate and distinct from the United States agency that generally regulates firearms here, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATFE or ATF for short).

According to this guidebook, the DoS will grant a one-time waiver to an individual to export a firearm. I have no earthly idea how long this process takes.

In addition, be aware that firearms regulations in the U.S. are NOT uniform; some U.S. states and cities have regulations prescribing extra steps before taking possession of a firearm, above and beyond those prescribed by the federal government. This is sometimes unfamiliar territory to foreigners, who may be accustomed to a federal government which has absolute unconditional authority over local governments. These restrictive localities and states encompass several prominent and busy international airports – New York City, Washington D.C., Newark, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

This does not address firearms regulations at the destination, which are a matter of Chilean law.

Last edited:
Back