Help, I just broke my 686!

wolf 1415

The extractor rod came loose again after Monday's practice, so I put some loc-tite in there just like the last time it came loose about 2 months ago. I must have put too much because now the cylinder won't go into the frame. I assume some loc-tite got into the inside of the extracor rod and froze up the internal spring...I'm looking at the S&W diagram, and this seems to be the only explanation. The tip of the rod just above the extractor wont "give" to allow the gun to close. I plan on taking it to the shop when I go on Friday, Is there anything else I can try before then?

Remove front sideplate screw. Remove crane and cylinder. Slide cylinder assembly out of crane. Put cylinder assembly in boiling water for a few minutes....should unscrew readily. Then clean up the mess, dry, lube and reassemble. Use only a tiny dab of loctite on the threads.

When torquing on the extractor rod, load the cylinder with empties....takes the strain off of the star locating notch or pin. A wooden clothes pin in vise for gripping the knurled part of the rod helps too. Clothespin holds rod and turn cylinder loaded with empties by hand. Don't over do it goin back together.

9mm (9X19) empties do a better job of supporting the star than .38/.357s. The 9s are tapered and larger at the base, you get a nice interference fit.

Good luck with it..........Sam

Sam, Thanks for the reply. I can get the extractor out of the cylinder, but I have the aforementioned problem after screwing it back in. Does the extractor rod further dis-assemble once out of the gun? The S&W diagram seems to indicate that the extractor rod has an internal spring...

Wolf. Yes, it comes further apart. The center pin should push out once the extractor rod is seperated from the extractor. Note that the center pin has a little shoulder on it that is closer to the rear, that is the seat for the center pin spring. When goin back together, make sure the spring is in front of the shoulder and the longest part of the pin is under the spring.

Been staring at a 686 and lookin at the diagram and the only thing I can think of is either a piece of sumpin got inside or threads not clean and extractor rod not screwin in far enough.

Tough tryin to look through the puter. Sam

Wolf,

I've done the same thing in the past. I finally figured out that it really only takes about a half a drop of blue Loc-tite to do the job.

1st try a fairly sharp rap with the base of a plastic screwdriver on the small portion of the center pin that is protruding from the "star".

If this doesn't break it loose, then Sam's suggestion of heating the cylinder to soften the Loc-tite will work.

Good Luck...

Joe

wolf, a hair drier set on its highest settings will work to loosen blue or red loctite. I use red all the time with knife pivots, and it will break them lose every time. I hope all goes well. Let us know if you get it fixed.
Sling Shot

Thanks for your help guys. I took it to the shop tonight after nothing else worked. My buddy at the shop tapped the star loose from the rod and it was caked with loc-tite. Ooooops. Got it cleaned out and good as new. Thanks Again. I did try the hot water trick to no avail before taking it in. By the way, if heats counteracts loc-tite, its no wonder I keep coming loose. I shoot the thing too hot to hold every week, approx 200 rds in 30-45 minutes practicing speed reloads...

Sam & Slingshot...

I'm d*mn proud of you guys and both of you exemplify the TFL spirit of helping your fellow shooter. Thanks for saving George and me the work!

BTW Wolf, you don't need loctite. Just put the empties in the extractor, clap the ejector rod in a vise, and hand tighten until it's snug. I do it once a year when I inspect revolvers and it's a matter of acquiring the "touch" to know how much tightness is needed.

Back