Help! I can't drive out the trigger pin on my High Power!

AEM

After putting up with it for years, I finally had enough and decided to remove the magazine disconnect safety on my Mk II High Power. I drifted out the pin in the rear of the trigger without any problem, but I can't budge the trigger pin that goes through the frame.

Not having real brass punches, I bought some brass rod in the correct diameter and cut it into 2 1/2 " lengths. Then I tried to tap out the pin from right (the rounded end of the pin) to left (the flush side of the pin, which is on the same side as the mag release button). I couldn't budge it, not even after soaking it with WD-40.

What am I doing wrong? :(

I just did this over the weekend, but in reverse. I needed to get mine in. You need to soak the trigger pin in penetrating oil, like break free. WD-40 evaporates too quickly. Add a drop in the left side, the right side and inside the frame. Soak it for two days. I'm not kidding. Mine wouldn't budge the last 1/8" until 48 hours later. Then take your drift punch and gently tap, tap, tap, tap. Don't go gorrilla on it. If it won't budge, let it soak longer. Don't rush it.

Thanks.

I was beginning to wonder if the round end was flanged and I was trying to drive it the wrong way.

The rounded end is the side you want to drift on. I did mine a little while ago and found the same thing. I flipped the gun over and tapped on the rounded side and it came right out. You may need to soak the pin, but I doubt it. I would recommend ATF over WD.

------------------
You can find the price of freedom, buried in the ground.

Those pins are a drive fit, but I have never had to soak anything to get one out. I recommend a good set of concave head drift punches. I will note, though, that the HP is not really meant to be taken apart every half hour for the fun of it. FWIW, for liability reasons, I do not recommend removal of the magazine safety (or any safety device). They can be slicked up to the point that they cannot even be felt.

Jim

Badger --

There are two trigger pins. The little on the trigger that's part of the mag safety and big one that holds the trigger. I needed to put the big one in.

Keenan -- Great advice on the concave push pin. I wish I would've made one.

Back