Help! Front sight question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scaramanga

I'm having a bit of trouble with sight picture when using a pistol. I know that I should focus on the front sight, but if I have both eyes open the target goes double (Right handed; Right Eye Dominant). When I close my left eye I don't have any problem, but I would prefer to shoot with both eyes open. Please tell me if I am going about this the wrong way. Any advice is appreciated.

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

It seems to me that perhaps your right eye isn't dominant enough. That's why you are getting the double sight picture. If this is the case an old trick is to tape a strip of translucent (not the clear type) tape over your left lens. Over time you will train your right to dominate over the left while both eyes are open. You may have to repeat this process if you find your right eye losing dominance.

Hi, Scaramanga,

Espresso's idea is a good one, but if it doesn't work for you, shoot however you feel best and get the best results. For years, instructors insisted that shooters had to have both eyes open, but sometimes it doesn't work. I close my left eye because my eyes are so disparate that I get false images if I don't.

Jim

When I shoot fast at multiple targets close in I use both eyes. When I shoot slow fire at longer distances I close my weak eye. Just a thought.

The same thing happens to me when I shoot. most of my shooting is done with my left eye closed, but I do try to practice as much as possible with both eyes open. What I do is focus on the target. This gives me a single image of the taget and the image of my gun and its sights goes double. I then sight through the image of my dominant right eye. It takes practice to get use to this, and my eyes tire quickly doing this. But with practice this should become easier.

Christopher Nemeth

Thanks everyone!!

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back