help from the masters

riverratt

I just got into casting with as basic of an outfit as possible. A lee tl-430 mold a camping stove a cast iron pot and a tablespoon with a dialpeg handle. I like it alot and im gonna upgrade mu setup before i go any farther. I hope to someday cast for my 9mm, .45 ACP, .44 mag, and i hope to get a 45 LC and cast for that one as well. For now im just gonna stick to .44 mag bulets.

I have been looking at the lyman starter kit, i may go that way dont know yet. Whatever i do im looking for a good bullet design, in .44 mag, that i can use for target and hunting/defense. On the hunting side it will be used for whitetail deer for defense it will be carried when i bow hunt (it is legal here) in case of hog, ferrel dog, and 2 leged verman mainly but we do have the occasional black bear, cougar, and there was even a timber wolf killed last year (confermed by DNA)

I have been thinking about a 250gr keith point by RCBS but the lyman devistator looks interesting as well. Any pros/cons on one or the other will be appreciated. I am open to other suggestions from thoes that have been there and done that.

BTW mike i did reply back to you (i think), you didnt reply back. Thats no biggy at all, i just want to know that i did it right thats all.

The RCBS Keith works great in my SBH 10.5, not so great in my HenryBB. Have tried many variables to get them to stop keyholing to no avail and have pretty much given in to the fact that it just don't like them. I've got no experience with the Lyman.

I have a Lee pot and really have no complaints. I am going to upgrade from the 10lb to the 20lb pot though.

As for molds, I have Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Seaco and NOE. I like all of them, but they all have their special quirks that you have to figure out to make them work great.

If your thinking of upgrading, instead of the single cavity devistator, I would consider a multiple cavity NOE. Excellent quality and you can get 4 or 5 cavity HP pins and solid nose pins in the same mold.

NOE do take more of a breaking in than any of the rest of my brands though. I have 3 NOE molds and every one of them has taken me til the 3rd or 4th casting session to make a keeper bullet when I buy them. Any of the other brands is after about 10-15 minutes from new.:confused:

I started much the same way; Coleman stove, pot, Lee mold. I now use a Lee bottom pour pot and am happy with it's performance along with my 7 Lee molds and half a dozen molds of other manufacture.

My favorite caliber is the .44 magnum and I cast 5 different bullets for it. The "classic" bullet is a Kieth design and the Lyman 429421 is one of the most popular, and I cast and shoot it in 4 of my .44s. It's a good all around bullet of between 240-250 grains depending on alloy. Moving along at 1,000 fps or a bit less, it will take most any game. I size mine with Lee push through dies (sized to fit the intended gun) and either use my own "Speed Green" or commercial lubes from White Label Lubes. Any of the popular powders will give good accrate, shootable loads with the 429421...

I love my cheep lee pot, I has a tiny bit of drip, maybe an ounce an hour, but nothing to worry about. I have looked at the other brands and they cost 3-4 times as much as a lee bottom pour. I just cant see how it is that much better than my lee that has casted thousands. I also leave mine in my humid garage, never clean it and have left it outside for weeks at a time. in my opinion, it cant be beat for 60 bucks. give it a try before spending 200$ on the lyman.i also wouldn't want a gas powered pot, but that's just me, seems like an unnecessary added expense

Your set-up with the camp stove, pot, and spoon is how a lot of caster still do it after many years. The main problem with that is temperature control. trying to feather a flame with a crude valve is difficult at best. Without good temp. control, your consistency goes out the window. Mainly shows up with wide swings in weight.

Now I still use a lee 4-20 pot, in fact I have 2 of them. I got tired of the temp swings the lee gave me,(by keeping track of temp with a lead thermometer), so I built a PID temp control.

You will find out that a lot of casters call the lee dripomaticsSOMETIMES the valve leaks a little. Lee just redesigned the valve system, now it doesn't leak as much, and it's easier to adjust the flow. Neithe of my lee's leak at all. But I added weight to the valve system by replacing their handle with a wood dowel filled with lead.

IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

Most of the casters over at castboolits.com say the best pot made right now is the RCBS pro-melt. On sale right now at midway for $345.99 BUT it is 5 times the cost of the lee, @ midway for $67.99.

As for molds, the lee's will make good boolits, some are even great. But some of the designs are just bad copies of other peoples molds with too shallow lube grooves. That said, the vast majority of my molds are lee. I have a few Lyman, one RCBS, but the best by far are my 5 MP custom-group-buy molds. 4 are Cramer hollow points, 1 casts a solid #68 H&G 45 SWC.

This is the 44 mag 640 nose profile MP (Miha Prevec)- HP with all 3 of the HP cavity pins installed.

44%20mold%20007.jpg

http://mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Molds

Miha always has extra molds when he makes a group-buy mold. he sells the extras to the public until they're gone. So checking his website right after molds from a group buy is delivered might get you one of his molds. They're NOT cheap, that mold in my pic cost $141.00 + shipping.

Well I apologize for not getting back with you I have had a full plate around here lately.

As mentioned above with regard to the casting pot, it is hard to beat the price of the Lee 4-20 Production pot. Couple it up with a PID controller and your set for just about anything you would ever want to pour up. If you build the PID yourself you will save some money but it can be had pre-made and ready to plug and go. Do you absolutely need one, nope, but it sure does help keep the temp where you want it. Just something to put on your "Want List" for now;).

I started out without one, but I DID have a nice lead thermometer I picked up from NOE molds. It clips right to the side of the Lee pot and responds quick enough that you can adjust the temp controller to keep your alloy within a certain range. The key thing with the PID is that you set it to what you want, and it will keep the alloy within about 10 degrees of that from tip top full to an empty pot. With just the thermometer, you have to watch it as you lower the level as the alloy temp will increase as you drop it down. Like Snuffy said, it is hard to keep things consistent when you have fluctuating alloy temps. The thermometer is also good to record the temps at which your molds are pouring their best bullets at. All molds are different even when made from the same material. It is also always better to sneak up on a nice bullet temp, than to start off too hot and have to wait for things to cool down.

As for molds, well it is hard to argue with the history behind the 240gr Keith SWC. It is a classic and always will be. If I were to recommend a mold you could purchase and have in your hands relatively quick, it would be from Accurate, and would be one of the following links,
Bullet design #43-240K

or this one,
Bullet design #43-235V

Based upon what I have found with my testing using alloy around the 10-14 BHN range, either of these poured up with either a 50/50 wheel weight to pure lead, or a 75/25 blend of the same, would, or should, work out to be an excellent hunting bullet as well as for anything else you want to work on. Elmer Keith shot a 16-1 alloy for most of his loads and it seemed to work out fine for him. Also if you head over to, and sign up on Castboolits, you can look in the Swapping and Sellin section and they have an area called the The Boolit Exchange where you can post up something you might like to try out, and if someone has the mold, you can swap them something for a handful of what you want to try, before you invest in a high dollar mold.

For sizing, it's hard to beat the Lee sizers for ease of use and cost. If you want to use another lube aside from the Alox or 45-45-10, you could contact Glen at White Label Lubes and try out some of his or blend up your own using one of the many recipes over on Castboolits. I use Carnuba Red now for most of my top end loads, but I also still use a bunch of 45-45-10 for the low to mid range, and some top end ones like in my 454. If you go with something like the Carnuba Red you will have to pan lube but that isn't a huge deal, or you could powder coat with the stuff from Harbor Freight. (Just don't do it in the same oven you eat from.)

I saw you mention the Lyman Devastator mold. I have one and it only took two or three casting sessions with it to determine I wanted nothing to do with it. Not that I didn't pour some nice bullets, but pulling and replacing that pin over and over again and only getting one bullet per pour pretty much sucked. I MUCH prefer the MP or NOE multi cavity molds over that one.

So you can save some money picking up the Lee pot, Lee sizing die, and keep using some of what you already have for lube. Then save up and pick up a great 4 cavity mold from Accurate or NOE, which will get you almost where you want to be. To be honest the two biggest things about the Alox lube is it is messy and it smokes. Other than that I haven't really had any issues what so ever with it failing to work properly. That said, I do like using the Carnuba Red, but it cost me another buck fifty in a Lyman 4500 lubesizer and dies to be able to really enjoy it. However if you watch the classifieds there is usually someone putting one of the Lyman 45's up for sale once in a while. If your lucky you can pick one up for around $80-100 with dies. Might seek out Ol Beagle on what to look for.

One last thing I want to throw out thee for you. At some point while your gathering up lead and wanting to blend up batches of alloy, you will find that a hardness tester will come in handy. I can highly suggest looking into the Cabine Tree tester for simplicity of use and repeatability of readings. I have one and wouldn't want to try learning with another one. When you DO blend up your alloy, and IF your going to test it, I also highly suggest using something like a nice fat WFN bullet poured from your alloy to test on. I, well I DID HAVE;) one of the Lee 452-255RF 2 cavity molds I would use to pour up half a dozen or so samples when I blended up a batch of alloy. This way I could test it periodically to see what it would actually be doing in the weeks following being poured. Some alloys get harder over time some start off hard and get softer. This just helps to keep things honest so you know if and when you have to adjust your load to match the alloy.

Well I hope this helps some,

If it were me the first upgrade I would invest in would be casting thermometer. After I got mine things got much more consistent. My reject piles got way smaller. That translated to more shootable bullets per pot cast.

Welcome to the addiction. There are lots of folks here that share a wealth of knowledge, and will not talk down to a person starting out. Nor will they act like you have to spend more than you make in a week for one piece of equipment you could have easily done without. That is one of things I like so much about this place.

Back