Help for IL person...

essohbe

Hello,

Can someone point me in the right direction?

As far as I know, the state of IL simply forbids any carry so I would have to get a multi-state concealed carry according to some people. Now, how does this necessarily trump the laws of IL? Why would they honor that?

What kind of program is there then for people like me? Do I have any option at all?

I know other people that live here in IL but they carry anyway, without any license or permit and just hope they aren't caught. Well, I am not about to do that unless there no rule of law somehow manifests itself...

Someone told me I'd have to either become an alderman, get deputized by my CLEO, or become a PI or something...

not sure about the last part

but

as far as I know the average joe can't carry a concealed weapon in IL no matter what state(s)' permits he/she gets unless he/she is a LEO for their profession.

As far as I know, the state of IL simply forbids any carry so I would have to get a multi-state concealed carry according to some people. Now, how does this necessarily trump the laws of IL? Why would they honor that?

Under being a regular citizen, NO state issued CCW permit trumps Illinois law. PERIOD.

What kind of program is there then for people like me? Do I have any option at all?

Move out of state. If not, start getting busy contacting your local elected officials and hope for the best and expect the worst.

Simply put normal citizens can't carry in Illinois period. Stay away, or perhaps take me with you?

Getting a non-resident permit from another state like Utah or Florida would allow you to carry in that state and any state that recognizes that states permit. Some state only recognize out-of-state permits if the person with it is a resident the state that issues it. Since Illinois honors no out-of-state permits, having a Utah or Florida non-resident permit would do you no good in Illinois.

Someone told me I'd have to either become an alderman, get deputized by my CLEO, or become a PI or something...

You would need to look at Illinois state code to see what exceptions exist for concealed carry, but I expect they are rare. The NRA-ILA page shows no concealed carry at all. Open carry is allowed for some activities like shooting on a range or hunting, or on your own property.

Did a quick search on Illinois code and noticed a new bill has been submitted for concealed carry permits, so get out there and support it. The conceal carry statute has no exemptions for anybody. I expect somewhere in the code Peace Officers, etc., at least while on duty, are exempt but I did not find it.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to look into the new bill that has been submitted for concealed carry permits.

Although a CCW is essentially currently unavailable in the California county in which I live, I find it convenient to have several non-resident permits from other States. So when I travel to Nevada, Oregon, Arizona or quite a number of other States, which I have done from time to time, I can, and do, carry.

Back