Help choosing a scope

bolobock

Inactive
I recently bought a Browning A-Bolt Hunter in 300WSM. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on pairing a good scope to it. I have a couple old scopes in the safe but I see Burris makes a scope just for short action rifles-is it truly better? Are there any differences to mounting a scope on a short action rifle? This is my first WSM( I bought it as an all around rifle for deer, elk, and moose-much to the dismay of my wife-who thinks we have too many guns as is)

Any help would be appreciated. I will probably try a few scopes anyway but just wanted some seasoned advice from someone who has experience with these new calibers before sending a few boxes of ammo downrange.

I would prefer to stay in the 200-300 dollar price range but I know you get what you pay for. It's always better to get that upgrade than be without a paddle when you need it most. I guess I was just wondering what has worked well for others so I have a baseline. I was thinking about a Burris full field two-I think the multiple hash maks would be advantageous. Any thoughts?

Burris Fullfield II is a very good scope for the money, probably as good or better than a Leupold vari-x II, Sightron s-2 is another good scope for the money. Nikon also makes good optics in this price range, A lot of people like the Bushnell elite series (3200&4200) but IMHO the 3200's are not up to the level of the Burris or Sightron's, however the 4200's are great scope's. Probably the best scope for the money is the Fullfield II with the free binocs or spotting scope at about $200 or the real deal is the Ziess conquest 3x9x40 for around $450, these are one of the best scopes under a grand.

Depends on your hunting conditions, but I tend to shun high magnification, big bell scopes in general. A fixed 2.5x, 3x or 4x maximum. Or a variable 1.5-5x or 2x-7x perhaps.

I would consider shopping around for a used Burris or Leupold. Both companies will fix any manufacturing related problem as long as they continue in business. You'll save some money over a "new" one - and miss those awful graphics they are printing on some of them too.

As for reticles, I would stick with the regular "plex" or "duplex" type. They are simple and versatile.

I've found that there are times when 3X is a good thing; walking-hunting, particularly. Other times, the higher magnifications available from a 3x9 are helpful--particularly when hunting from a stand.

I've never had a problem with the Leupold line of scopes. None. I like the VX1, 3x9, for the quality vs. money.

Art

Back