Help choosing a 4" .357

Shmackey

Thought I wanted a Ruger GP100 in 4" stainless. Then I had a look at a Smith 686 in the same proportions (don't worry, I'm not buying a new one). Wow, the Smith was just much smoother and more nicely finished. And the single-action pull was better. Neither gun's DA pull impressed me, but I'm accustomed to a good SA 1911 trigger, so...

Now that I know there are other .357s that I might like more than that GP100, what else should I look at? Taurus's 8-shot .357 is intriguing, but large. And their .357 tracker Ti model is intriguing, but lightweight. Oh, and how much does a used Smith 686 in these dimensions go for? Thanks.

I've had both and kept the S&W. The Ruger is probably more rugged, but the triggers are harder to work on. I'd say accuarcy is a toss-up, though I knw of one gun test a few years ago were the Ruger was found to be more accurate. A used S&W 686 should set you back $250-$275 for the six shot model, maybe less.

Owned/own both. Still have the Ruger KGP-141. In my hands the Ruger is more accurate. The Ruger is built stronger than the S&W, the Ruger will last a few lifetimes, the S&W one or two. The 686 I had did however bind up with continued shooting of magnum loads. For me, all my handguns are carry guns, so my revolver gets shot in DA mode, so I don't compare the single action triggers. If the DA pull from the Ruger is a little on the heavy side for you, a simple spring change should take care of it. In my area a used 686 goes for $300, seen used Rugers for as little as $229. I paid $269 for mine LNIB , never fired.

Nuther one you might consider is the S&W 586. Similar to the 686 except blued steel. Easier to make smooth and stays that way longer.

If you would like a little more meat, then the Smith models 27 and 28 are also really nice. These will better handle full strength .357 loads.

Going down a tad from the 686 size you run into the Smith 19. Arguably one of the finest .357 platforms around. My favorite for all round handy.

All of the above available in nice condition for 200 to 300 bucks.

You are to be commended for stayin away from the real late Smiths. Not only for the political atrocity reason but you have a better chance of getting a finished gun with the older ones.

Sam

686's are very rugged. However, if you plan to shoot hot .357 loads all the time, go with a Ruger. If you will shoot the magnum loads only every now and then, and mainly feed the gun .38's or .38+P, go with the 686. Do a search on 686's in the revo forum and you will find lots of praise. Their triggers range from very good to excellent, and I personally get very good accuracy out of mine. Their weight and balance and aesthetics are much nicer than a Ruger.

For a good used 686, you're looking at $300-$350. As a comparison, new ones start at $400.

A used S&W 686 should set you back $250-$275 for the six shot model, maybe less.

Hey LBC,
If you find a good used 686 for $250-275 or less, let me know. I never find them that cheap, and I look quite a bit. That is the only gun in my collection that I make an effort to buy more than one copy of. I like them lots.

Rock_jock,

There is a pawnshop in Hammond, La. (Bayou Pawn) that has four 4" 686 from $265 - 295 depending on overall condition. There are very good folks to deal with.

Couple other's to consider.

If you want a very accurate .357 built like a tank, Dan Wesson Model 15 or 715 if you like stainless. Used these bring $200 to $250 for one in 95+% condition.
If you can deal with blued, there are a bunch of Colt Troopers out there in the $250 to $300 range. These are well made and a 'smith who knows his stuff can really make 'em sweet.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Take Care

So many neat toys and so little time or money. Just in 4" .357s one could amass an impressive collection. Makes, models, variants, etc.

Sam

I recommend the Colt King Cobra if you can find one. I picked one up in excellent condition at a gun show 5 months ago for $350........Dan in GA

I have the Ruger GP-100 Stainless with 6" barrel and it is one of the most accurate .357's I've come across. I like the factory grips on the GP's better than the ones on S&W guns, which eliminates the need to buy new grips along with the S&W.

Shmackey,
What do you plan to use it for? If CCW is a possibility you may want to consider a K frame w/ 3.25" barrel. My wife recently picked up a S&W M66 with such a barrel and has been most pleased with it.

Try a S&W Model 65. Comes in 4", fixed sights, stainless steel, K frame and heavy barrel without under lug. Can be found for around $250 or less.

Unlimited field?

There's lots of good choice's in 4" barrel .357 Magnums.
From the old vintage S&W model 27's* and 28's, to 19's
and 66's, and including 627's and 686's; not to mention
all the fine Ruger's on the market.:D One of my favorite's,
the stainless steel Ruger Security-Six can be had for next
to nothing.:) If money is no object, try a vintage Colt
Python out; you just might like it?:confused: Personally,
I prefer Smith & Wesson's 686 with a 6" barrel; but that's
just me.

* Denotes that the barrel length for 27's was first
established at 3.5"; commonly called "the F.B.I.
model".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Thanks for all the responses. CCW is unlikely but possible; I'd be willing to accomodate the 4" barrel. Money is definitely an object; if I were going to spend a bunch of money, I'd probably just put it into my Bullseye equipment.

This Dan Wesson thing has me intrigued; I thought they were pricey.

How are Taurus revolver triggers?

The Taurus trigger pull on my SS Tracker model is sweet in my opinion. It breaks clean. I had owned a 2.5" S&W 686 in the past and believe the Taurus trigger pull on the tracker model is better. I like the adjustable sights and ribber grip. The grip works well on recoil. I was just out this past Wed shooting her and sighted it in using 125 grain loads and have it grouping just under 2" at 30 yards. Shot a box of 157 grain soft point American eagle and the groups were just about the same. Its very accurate for me. Its a keeper in my book. Its riding in a Bianchi holster any time Im out in the wilderness.

Correction To My Original Post:

In my previous post I said, "I perfer a Smith & Wesson 686,
with a 6" barrel".

Actually, that statement is a little incorrect. In the past I
have been on record as saying, "I perfer Smith & Wesson
model's 27 and 28 with a 6" barrel. This is a very true
statement; as I still do favor Smith's N-frame .357's.

My updated post should have read, "I currently shoot
a Smith & Wesson model 686-5, with a 6" barrel".

Sorry, for the confusion as I wasn't purposely trying
to mislead anyone.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

That S&W 66-2 you bid on looks like it might fit the requirement. I'm alread drooling and salivating over it. Haven't bought off the web and am reluctant to buy anything I cannot hold or play with otherwise I would bid against you on it. If I could find one locally in the same condition that this one appears to be and in the same price range, I would scarf it up!

I'll 3rd the S&W 65. I have one with a 3" barrel that I absolutely love.

Unfortunately, I recently bought it new (I didn't know better). I had been told that there was new ownership and the people who made the agreement were gone (true) and assumed (as was the gunshop's intention) that the new owners weren't still bound by it (untrue, though, in the new owners possible defense, depending upon what the old owners signed they may not legally have a choice).

Anyway, it is one sweet .357. It has the Ladysmith grips (ok, it is a Ladysmith model). I prefer wood grips to rubber and the Ladysmith grips fit my hand perfectly and are tremendously comfortable (and it is more economical to simply buy the Ladysmith than buy the regular model and add the grips). I can shoot it as well as any 4" .357 and it is more concealable. Despite the smaller size it is very controllable and all but the hottest .357 loads are very comfortable to shoot (probably partly due to the grips :) ).

Model 65s have been around long enough that you may be able to find one used. If you don't even want to buy grips from S&W you can buy the exact same grips from Taurus directly from their website (and if you don't want to try the grips I'm sure that only some of the handling characteristics I like are due to the grips :D ).

Back