Help - Beretta Tomcat trigger bar spring

Elerius

I have since acquired a Tomcat since my posting on the subject a few weeks ago. It runs perfectly but the grips cracked apart where someone really tightened the screws, which didn't bother me since I planned on a set of walnut grips.

After removing the old grips and putting on the woods I bought, the trigger bar no longer returns the trigger to its normal position. The bar has to be pushed by my finger. I'm not very mechanically inclined and it isn't that complicated to look at, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix this. The trigger bar spring looks like it's in the position it should be but I can't figure out where it can possibly be moved to put pressure on the bar like it is supposed to. As far as I know I didn't lose any small piece, but I didn't pay any attention to what the linkage looked like when I did the swap. For a while I thought maybe the tip of the spring had broken off and, not having known what it was supposed to look like exactly, I couldn't know if it was intact or not. I finally found a picture of one and it doesn't seem broken. I'm at a loss.

I shattered my phone screen yesterday and it was my only camera at the moment but I will post a pic as soon as I can. For the mean time, I was hoping someone could post a pic of their Tomcat with the grip removed on the right with and without the trigger bar so I can see EXACTLY how it is supposed to look correctly placed. I cannot find a single video or picture of this, or any guide on complete disassembly beyond field strip. I'd appreciate anyone's help on the subject

I put the original panel back on, it's still broken. I found a better picture of the spring and it looks like the hook on the end has broken off somehow. Mine only half curves and doesn't make it all the way around the post. So I think I need a new spring

Okay, I borrowed a camera and took these pics. The spring is bent as a whole to the left by me trying to move it, but all the crooks in it were that way when I took it off the post. The hook at the end looks like it's half of what it should be, if the picture I found was correct. there are no other parts loose besides that and the trigger bar and it doesn't look like I missed anything. I ordered a new trigger bar spring from Brownells in the mean time, but there was no image available on the site so I can't even compare the part directly.

(I'm not sure why the last pic posted sideways and tiny like that, it looks just like the others on my computer :confused: )

Attachments

• DSCF1086.JPG
    DSCF1086.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCF1084.JPG
    DSCF1084.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCF1089.JPG
    DSCF1089.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 329
Yes, it could very well be a broken spring. I had a Tomcat that broke the spring as I was removing it. Beretta was kind enough to mail me a new one free of change { perhaps they heard the edge of anger in my voice :), brand new gun }.

So I got a new spring, and it is slightly longer then the other one, long enough to work in the way I think it should where the other wouldn't. It definitely has spring pressure to return the trigger like it is supposed to, at least at the angles I set it in. But it doesn't matter, the trigger bar just falls away from the hammer and loses connection. It seems like there should be a piece of something to stop it from moving downward. I don't understand.

Included is two pics, one is where I thing the spring would be set at when the trigger bar is on top, and the other is the bar out of line after I first pull the trigger. It happens with the wood grip panel and also the old one. there's plenty of room inside the groove of the grip panel, so it isn't there to keep the bar in place.

If no one knows the problem or could supply a pic of their tomcat or bobcat with the panel off, I guess I will have to find a gunsmith around here to figure it out. I really like this gun but the trouble isn't worth it, if it is a design problem. Seems like a pretty delicate configuration

Attachments

• 20140215_123628~01.jpg
    20140215_123628~01.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 20140215_123916~01.jpg
    20140215_123916~01.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 296
Make sure you hold down the safety when installing the left grip panel the safeties spring and plunger have a tendency to come out easily. Do it in a plastic baggie so it doesn't launch. By the way I have never seen this spring break. You might want to head over to beretta forum they may be pic there.

The curved part of the spring fits into a slit on the bottom of your trigger bar with the point of the curve pointing down.

Back