Help aiming my new Henry rifle

Henryshooter

Inactive
Hi all,
Just purchased a new Henry Lever Action from Dicks. Main reason I purchased it, was I loved the sights while holding it in the store, with the circle down at the end, but I'm having a problem with it out of the box. The best way I can describe it, I've rendered this drawing (I"m no artist, so please don't laugh!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nihi7odnatawkye/henry1.gif

I would think the left side would be the way to aim, where you can see the full target inside the center of the round sight at the end of the guy, but I am having to put the target at the very top of the round site, which basically gives me a blind shot.

Am I aiming wrong, or should I only be using the sight at the end and not lining it up with the (red) forward v-cut sight?

Any help from anyone who has shot these sights would be appreciated.

Hi - I'll check it when I get home, but from my recollection, it's just a ball colored red inside the circle at the end of a black stem. The red ball is dead center of the circle/sight.

Align the sights so that the front bead is nestled right in the rear notch. Bullets should impact under the bead or just at the top of it, your preference and adjustable with the little stairstep slide under the rear sight.

The "circle" is just a glare shade and bump protector. It should probably be slid off for actual shooting at anything but a well defined paper bullseye target.

So you are saying the picture on the right side is correct? I was hoping that wasn't the case, because the target is almost totally blocked by the circle sight at the end of the barrel - the circle is thicker then what I have pictured, and covers the target up. I had hoped when I was looking at it in the store, that , it would be dead center like the picture on the left hand side, but when I aimed like that, I missed constantly.

I don't know if I've made a mistake buying this - I was able to pick up my buddy's .22 that had regular sights on it (like a daisy bb gun basically) and hit the target everytime - this circle sight at the end really makes it tough now - I'm not used to shooting at something I can't see.

that circle is a shroud to protect the front sight, you should be able to just slide off when you are shooting the rifle

I used to own a Henry Lever action, that little circle hood over the front sight can be removed. I actually liked it, it gave me quicker target acquisition. As far as your front site covering up most of your target, depending on how small you are aiming, that's going to happen with most iron sights, you could adjust it to your liking, but anyone who picks up your gun who knows the correct way to line up sites wont be able to hit anything.

I had no idea that was just a shroud! I'll have a look when I get home at it.

Like I said, I really liked it when I held it in the store, but I assumed I'd be aiming dead center of the circle - since it's at the top of the circle, I might just remove it :)

Like I said, I really liked it when I held it in the store, but I assumed I'd be aiming dead center of the circle - since it's at the top of the circle, I might just remove it

Your front site may be a tad too high if the hood is getting in the way. The easiest solution would just be to take it off, the hood I mean, which many do. Some henry models don't even come with one. You could also ask them to send you a new front site, which they most likely will free of charge. The forearm on my Henry was pretty loose, so I called and they sent me a brand new one free, and the guy even special picked one with nicer wood. They also sent me a metal barrel band free of charge to replace the plastic one that came with it which I offered to pay for. Some of the best customer service around and a great company overall.

Last edited:
Terminology helps.

You should have what's called a hood, the big "circle" you're refering to, inside which is the front sight post.

Either remove the hood or disregard it, it has nothing to do with your sight picture.

The actual front sight will be, if you have such a model, a brass-colored bead which appears to be a golden "ball" on top of a dark post, from the rear.

You put that bead totally down inside the rear notch, so the top of the bead is even with the top of the rear sight notch.

From there, you put the bead into the center of mass of your target, called a center hold.
Or you put the bead at the bottom edge of your target, called a 6 o'clock hold.

All the time keeping the gold bead's top even with the top of the rear sight notch.

Follow?
Denis

+1 for all of the above, most especially removing the front sight protector ("hood") by just sliding it off/out of its grooves to the front.

Then align the front/rear sight as below, with your target sitting right on top.

2crlq3q.jpg

Get close to the target, line everything up (like Mehavey's picture) and fire 3 rounds, at the exact same aiming point for all 3 shots.

Adjust the rear sight in the direction that you want the bullet to go. (Small adjustment)

Repeat until you get your point of aim/point of impact to match.

mehavey - well you saved AT LEAST a thousand words with your diagram but you pretty much killed the thread 'cause there's nothing much else to say. :)

Depends on whether or not Henry knows how to physically move his sights for windage & elevation or not. :)
Denis

HenryShooter: Focus on the front sight only.

Everything thing else -- both rear sight & target will be blurry. Don't worry about it.
2w6tgxu.jpg

Front sight only. Make it sharp.
All else will take care of itself.
Trust me.
;)

I agree that the best results and target vision come when the front sight hood is removed. It's primarily there to protect the sight.

The top of the front sight should be even with the top of the rear sight, focusing on the front sight or target, whichever works best for your eyes in a particular lighting condition. (Pistol shooters focus only on the front sight under most shooting situations.)

I'd spring for a receiver sight or tang sight for your Henry. All you need to do is look through the peep and align the top of the front sight with the kill zone or target center.

I would think the left side would be the way to aim, where you can see the full target inside the center of the round sight at the end of the guy, but I am having to put the target at the very top of the round site, which basically gives me a blind shot.

Am I aiming wrong, or should I only be using the sight at the end and not lining it up with the (red) forward v-cut sight?

Any help from anyone who has shot these sights would be appreciated.

I prefer the top of the front post in line with the top of the rear sight. I aim with the tip of the front sight. Some prefer to aim with the center of the dot front sight.

What ever you choose. If the front post extends over the V notch it will result in a high shot. If the front post does not reach the top of the V notch it will result in a low shot.
If the rifle still shoots high with the rear sight all the way down, then you need a taller front sight.

Back