Help about building an AR lower from a blank

Daren Thompson

I noticed blank AR lowers in Shotgun News for sale. I fell that if I take my time, using my current AR as a patern that I could make my own lower. How hard is it? Any special legal loop-holes I need to jump? Has anybody here done this? As long as it is legal and possible I probably will have to screw-up a blank or two, just an itch I have to scratch. :)

Thanks

Later
Daren

Well, there have been a few individuals who have tried it, but even fewer that have succeeded. This job is an absolute chore.

I can't recommend that you do or do not attempt this, until I know what type of machinery you have access to. Also, you will have to build a few of your own tools and jigs as I understand it.

However, it seems the common feelings by those that have done this is that it simply isn't worth it when you can buy a lower for $115.

I concur it's not worth the trouble but if you are set on it be prepared to spend much time and energy and many dollars on tooling.

If you proceed get on over to www.ar15.com under the build it yourself category there is a guy there doing one and posting a blow by blow on milling the reciever.
Bye the way Good Luck I hope it works out.
LOCHFAL

A friend of mine in TN tried this a couple years ago, he had lots of tools and he figured it would be no big deal. Wrong.

yet i understand that Olympic in the SGW daze used to make lowers from bar stock and used a band saw for some of the shaping!

where there is a will...
hogging out the mag well is supposed to be a major chore.
Considering you can buy a stripped lower for $125 or so, i would think you could consume 10 times this cost in labor. Then again i don't think Noah charged back his labor!
;)

dZ

I've got a few things to point out...
first, If you want to do it, and are willing to work at it, do it. Everyone needs a project, right? If you decide to go for it, just keep your expectations realistic. IF you do manage to get it done well enough to fit everything together, it still may not be terribly accurate or reliable. Even some of the companies who have invested a ton of $$$ in tooling and machining, still can't turn out quality AR's. It is a given that it would be a LOT cheaper to simply buy a lower reciever and a set of parts and build it yourself, but from the sound of it, that just may not be satisfying enough for you. Like I sadi, if you have the time, money, patience, and desire,...go for it.
As for the legality of building your own firearm, first, don't take what ANYONE here says for fact. Do the research and make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Check all the laws that may apply - Federal, State, City, County, etc. The BATF web site is a pretty good source of info on the federal side, and to gat you started, I believe it says (again, don't take this as fact, research it first) an individual can legally manufacture a firearm as long as said firearm is for personal use and is not to be sold, traded exported, etc, and as long as it's construction is in compliance with all other federal and state laws (must be built as a POST BAN, so no evil features). Thats just from memory, I've never really wanted to build one from scratch, so to speak, so I haven't looked all that hard into it. Hope this helps, or at least encourages you to go for it, as long as you count the cost and understand how much work is involved. Good luck.
-John

Well all thanks for the replies. I plan on buying one of those 85% condition blanks out of shotgun news. I figure I might as well try. I am NOT trying this to save $100, I just think it would be cool to make my own gun. I have heard hype about when they ban my ....., then I will just make my own. Well I plan on trying this early just to see if it's practically possible. I will probably be wasting my time and money, but I have wasted plenty of both before. :)

Thanks again

Later
Daren

I have pictures of men in the Peshewar valley (my brother visited there 3-4 years ago) in Pakistan making guns with hand tools, it can be done. We have a local gentleman who made over 50 M-16 receivers for a local class 3 manufacturer before the 86 ban, also made several semi auto guns (offered to give me one but I havent taken him up on it, yet). If you are a competent machinist it should not be too difficult but without the experience it an exercise in futility. No federal laws against it IF it is for personal use and not to be sold, check the local laws. One reason I havent accepted the gift AR is because I dont know if I can legally.

I have access to a full machine shop and was considering doing the same thing with one of those raw forgings. Well, at least until I saw one in person. I think one of the hardest things to get right is threading the buffer tube socket so that it indexes properly. Some of the detent pin holes look like a bear, too.

If you try it...good luck! You'll need it!

I hope you're just wanting a project, because that's what you'll get. You can't get to the foruns at AR15.com right now but that's where to go for the info. I thought about doing it until I gave an extra stripped lower of mine a good look. Broaching the mag well looks like a bear among other things.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Chances are that I will get over my head. I have never seen a blank in person, so it may be a little much. I worked in a machine shop (the person who owns Shilo Rifle Co, so I learned from the best, but that was 8 years ago) for two years in high school and I am an Automotive Tech now. I think I could drill and ream the holes if i take my time. The threads for the buffer tube I am lost on, I am not real sure how I would do this, but that is what research is for. I may not even start this project for a while, but I really would like to try it. thanks for all the input.

Later
Daren

As a previous post stated, the AR15.com site has some good info. I've done it, and do it.

------------------
Kurt V. Wala
Kurt's Kustom Firearms
www.kurtkustom.qpg.com/

Investment-cast lower "blanks" can be bought from PMM Investment Castings, Inc. Web address is www.pmmcastings.com.

I use the quotes in calling them blanks, because they are nothing like the blank forgings you've probably seen...they are more like 90-95% complete (no broaching or milling of the mag well needed, etc.) Still, doing the remaining 5-10% will require considerable skill and patience.

I think the buffer tube threads are cast- in, but cast threads have to be "chased" with a tap. (There's a company called Tapco that makes taps in any wierd size, including that one I'm sure).

BTW, there is no "paperwork" (FFL stuff) needed on these castings.

I may be mistaken but I think you must put a serial no. and possibly a manufacturer name on any gun you build. If it were me I'd clear off a spot on one side and take it to an engraving shop and have this done first.

weegee

weegee, where did you find the information on the 90-95% machined receivers from PMM Castings? The only thing I found was for fully machined receivers and you have to have a FFL.

Let me know, I'm interested. Thanks

JonShaKel, they are not 90-95% MACHINED castings, they are investment castings, which come out of the mold with that degree of precision (think Ruger--their guns are such great values because the casting process reduces machining--and is often superior in strength due to the freedom allowed for distribution of material with the casting process.

I have seen these castings up close at Texas gun shows, and have spoken at length with the owner of this big--very big--casting company. I'm impressed that they know their stuff, even though the AR lowers are a new project for them.

I have a lot of personal experience with investment casting for the jewelry industry, FWIW.

That company, as you note,is also marketing completed lowers, both in aluminum, and titanium (I think those are the first such on the market.) It may be that they're only
marketing the castings around these parts. Try cajoling them--if they can sell 'em here they can sell 'em anywhere!

best, weegee

[This message has been edited by weegee (edited February 13, 2000).]

Daren, I'm having some trouble tapping into pmmcastings myself, even though that was a web address I copied off a business card that's been sitting on my computer table for a month. I did a search for them, and I can only suggest that you E-mail them at either pmm@netropolis.net, or the president, Steve Lazzara, at Lazzara@pmmcastings.com . Hope this helps...weegee.

Just got a reply from PMM Castings: call 713-681-0618 to order the "rough-cast" lowers...

forgot to mention, price is 60.00

best,weegee

[This message has been edited by weegee (edited February 18, 2000).]

Back