Help .410 Reloads MEC Sizemaster Press issue

a1parrothead

Hello all,
I am loading some .410 on my MEC Sizemaster. I installed a brand new MEC 302-12 1/2oz. charge bar and am using #9 shot.

My problem is that when I move the charge bar to drop the shot the bar is getting jammed with the shot and is very difficult to move all the way to drop the complete shot load.

Inspection shows that the #9 shot is getting trapped ABOVE the shot bar and actually has damaged the plastic insert on the shot hole side (see picture). I have no idea why this is happening. Maybe the shot is just too fine/small in diameter? Makes no sense to me since this bar is capable of #9 shot.

Frustrating since this bar was on back order and took awhile to get. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• P1080266.JPG
    P1080266.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 41
Well, it is clearly too fine for the clearances in your particular copy. I would send that photo to MEC and see what they advise. If you have access to a machine shop, you could make your own parts with a more snug fit. MEC may offer to replace it with such a thing.

Ok then, I suggest some motor mica in the shot bottle
(while you wait for whatever MEC comes back with)
Even then, I suggest using it for both wad & powder in
those tiny confines for working components called "410" ;)

Get THIS stuff, . . . not what you might see advertised
for "glitter" makeup

Fingers crossed..... :)

Last edited:
410 reloading tips

Back the shot bottle out a little.

If shot jams in the drop tube, lift the handle a tiny bit , before dropping the shot. Slide bar slower.

If using the brass ring for fine powder like 296, make sure the bumps on the brass ring dont get flattened. If flat, ring can move an block powder drop.

Use mag shot for 410, its lighter in weight, more pellets in 1/2 oz. This allowers the skeet bar to be opened to drop a FULL 1/2 oz of # shot.

Last edited:
Make sure that the rubber "o" ring is soft.
I just inherited a press and the "o" ring was harder than a rock.
A new "o" ring solved the jamming.

Back