Hello, New To this site

Bear State

Inactive
I am new here. Glad to find a site to talk guns. We love our guns here in Arkansas. Hope to gain much knowledge. Thank you.

1st question:

Thoughts on the Ruger All American Rifles. Wanting to buy the 6.5 Creedmoore.

Howdy, been registered here since 2007, used it for a little bit then stopped until today haha. I come in and see people have disappeared! A bunch of posts are from mid 2016, sucks to see not a lot of people here anymore

I have no experience with the Creedmore, I'm a 6.5x55 guy, but the 6.5 bore is popular for good reasons. For a modest recoil, you can send decent weight, high BC and SD bullets downrange with enough velocity to do the job. Lots of good bullets available.

Regards the Ruger American, I bought one in .243 a couple years ago. It's no beauty, but it works. I'm still fooling with loads, but it will group Barnes TTSX 80s <1". My brother bought a .22, and it rivals my CZ.

After she attended a long range shooting school, I bought my wife a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM.

Playing with it I was quite impressed with the 6.5 round. I've been reading good reviews on the Ruger American Predator and thought I might give it a try, thinking I would get a light rifle for deer and antelope.

So I picked one of (in 6.5 CM) and was pleasingly surprised. It is extremely accurate. Being light weight I figured the rounds would start walking as it got warm. Which wouldn't be a problem for a hunting rifle and you don't normally shoot enough to get it that hot while hunting.

Only at the range I found out it doesn't have that problem. I also found that it isn't picky about ammo. Yes for pure accuracy you cant beat the 143 Hornady bullets about 2700 fps. I weight each charge, slow but accuracy.

I had a box of 142 gr. Noslers Accrabonds I wanted to try for hunting. I used Winchester 760 powder, and after setting up the powder measure, I didn't weigh the powder. Just threw it into the case from the measure.

1/2 inch groups.

You wont go wrong with the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. View all the YouTube reviews on this rifle/ammo combo. For a $400 rifle, its hard to be beat.

Welcome. I don't have an American but my 77 Predator is a good shooter in 6.5 CM.

Also, I have a Howa that was very affordable and shoots great. While my Howa is a 308, they offer rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor now.

Ruger American rifles have proven to be the new "next best thing" in budget rifles.
The 6.5 Creedmoor round has proven to be the new "next best cartridge" to come along. I'm a fan of it myself and replaced most of my .308 rifles with similar ones so chambered.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the rifle choice or caliber choice.

Last edited:
Can't beat the Rugers. I have a Predator in 308 and a Compact in 223. I also have rifles that cost over 3X as much that aren't as accurate. My brother has the Ranch in 5.56 and a Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I think the 6.5 is without a doubt the most balanced all around hunting and target round introduced in my lifetime. That will be my next purchase.

The 308 and a 200 yard target.

I have a ruger American in 270 win and it shoots very well for a budget gun--I think it's an exceptional value for anyone on a tight budget. I imagine the creedmoor could only be better. welcome too. :)

Welcome! C'mon in; plenty of room in this day care center! :D

My local gunsmith has commented favorably about the Ruger Americans that he's sighted in for customers. (100-yard range at his shop.)

Welcome to TFL!

My one sampling of the Ruger American Ranch in .300 BLK has been pretty positive.

20170211_090436.jpg

300 yard group off bipod no rear rest 120 grain OTFB ammo.

.300%20BLK%208.jpg

I'm a die hard 308 shooter, two years ago one of my friends bought a Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. The round is fantastic , flat shooting, accurate & powerfull with less recoil then a 308. The next time I rebarrel my 308 , it will be a CM 6.5 guess I will have to change my name to cw 6.5

Hello Bear State and welcome. My dad was born in Hot Springs, me in Warren, Ark.

Many years ago, my Dad and his older brother were recalling childhood stories growing up in Hot Springs in the 1920s-30s. One was a bear story. They'd gone into the woods, both were around 12-13 years old. Found a bear cub and they made sure no mother bear was around. After a couple of hours, they decided something had happened to momma bear, so they cut down a vine, used it for a rope, and brought the bear cub home. Their father was amused with the bear cub, let them keep it in their back yard, chained to a tree. Cub was friendly.... kids in the neighborhood played with it. Only problem, the cub didn't like their mother for some reason. One day mom went to hang some laundry on a clothes line and walked too close to the cub, which took a swipe at her, tearing her dress. Mom's response was to get their father's 12 gauge and blasted the bear. Family and their neighbors had bear meat to eat for awhile.

As to the Ruger American rifle, sorry don't own one, but some of my fellow range members do. I've asked a couple of them what they thought of their American.....replies were fairly positive about it. Can't recall a complaint from them. As to the 6.5CM, nice cartridge, own one myself and it's become kinda popular at our range.

The Ruger American is an entry level hunting rifle that runs around $400, retail. Same price range as a Savage Axis. That you can have complete with a Weaver 3x-9x-40 scope.
Both are kind of light at 6.6 pounds. That's just an opinion though. The Creedmoor doesn't have lot of felt recoil.

I don't have a Ruger American but did pick up a Savage T10 in 6.5 at Cabela's last fall. Out of the box this rifle shot 1/2" groups easily at 100 and with a little fine tuning, it's shooting less than 1/4'' groups consistently. That's quite impressive for any gun let alone off the shelf and for under $500. I find their AcuStock and trigger well suited for the gun. I also have a used Savage .308, another Cabela's gun with the HS Precision stock. I would take the T10 stock over that one if given the choice. I think Savage did well with this offering and you couldn't go wrong.

I don't think you can go wrong with just about any of the 6.5 offerings, it's an inherently accurate round as designed for just that. I would also say that you could probably buy ten guns all identical and there would be a couple that would shoot fantastic, the rest pretty darn well. I say that as I have a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 and it doesn't shoot as well as either of the Savages at least at 100 yards. Some do, some don't from all I've found in those. I entertain re-barreling it to 6.5 but not sure I really like the platform to begin with.
Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy the round...it's a great one.

Ruger American = A+

I do not own them but have a buddy who has 2 of them, a 243 and 308.
Both are accurate and easy to shoot and carry, if your in the market for
an inexpensive, lightweight, accurate rifle (not sure about longevity) it fills
the bill. :D

Back