Hello, new here ? About S&W 1&1/2

Amos37

Inactive
Hello, I am new to this site, got to looking at some posts on here and seems to be a lot of good info. I ended up with a S&W model 1&1/2 3rd edition 32 s&w calibre in very nice condition, I had one shell so I did shoot it, worked fine. I am sure it has been refinished at some point in the past. I am curious what it should bring as I would like to sell it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20181128_174211.jpg
    IMG_20181128_174211.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Yes, you could say its been refinished.

Actually not only refinished, but embellished to the point of being embarrassing. Not much value left as is.

My guess maybe $125, $150 tops. Finding a buyer would be a problem.

I'm not much of a hand on old Smith & Wessons, but be aware there were two Model 1 1/2s. The original was the tip-up in .32 rimfire and dates to the post-Civil War era. This model is the New Model and dates early Twentieth Century.

Bob Wright

Last edited:
I just sold a nice 11/2 that had been reblued. Nice and
tight and mechanically in good shape, good bore. Nice original grips. It sold quick at $250. The Cowboy
crowd are looking for shooters for suspender guns, don't ask. I think they are starting hide out gun shoots.IMG_3088.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think it would be embarrassing to the right shooter. Maybe a lady Cowboy Action shooter if as previously stated they are having hide out gun shoots. Look pretty good in a garter under a frilly dance hall girl dress. Or maybe a gambler type in fancy duds.
You might want to check around for a range that holds Cowboy Action shooting events, and shop it around a bit.

Hello, I am new to this site, got to looking at some posts on here and seems to be a lot of good info. I ended up with a S&W model 1&1/2 3rd edition 32 s&w calibre in very nice condition, I had one shell so I did shoot it, worked fine. I am sure it has been refinished at some point in the past. I am curious what it should bring as I would like to sell it. Thanks in advance.

Howdy

Actually, that model is not commonly known as a Model 1 1/2. It is a simply a 32 Single Action. Sometimes known as a Model One and a Half Centerfire. It is a Top Break, meaning the barrel rotates down to load it. Chambered for 32 S&W (not 32 S&W Long). This one shipped in 1889.

32%20Single%20Action_zpszhmf3orr.jpg

The Cowboy
crowd are looking for shooters for suspender guns, don't ask. I think they are starting hide out gun shoots.

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, but the Cowboy Crowd is not starting hide out gun shoots. We do have pocket pistol side matches at the larger events, but only at the larger events, not at regular monthly matches.

These are Tip Ups. These are the S&W revolvers that are usually identified by frame size. An older design than the Top Breaks. To load them the barrel is unlatched and rotates up, hence the name. A Tip Up will not be competitive. Anybody who is competitive shoots a double action. All the Tip Ups were single action.

The largest of the S&W Tip Ups, the Model No. 2 and the Models No. 1 1/2 fired 32 Rimfire ammo, which is not commercially available. The only 32 Rimfire ammo available is antique stuff, and it is too expensive to shoot.

Top to bottom in this photo are a No.2 Old Army, No. 1 1/2 First Issue, and No. 1 1/2 New Model. They all fire 32 Rimfire Long ammunition, but frankly I only have a couple of boxes in my ammo collection and I am not going to shoot it.

32%20Tip%20Ups%20with%20Ammo%2001_zpst5avcsnr.jpg

The guys who are competitive in the pocket pistol matches will be shooting double action Top Breaks like this S&W 38 Double Action.

38%20Double%20Action%204th%20Model%2002_zpsk31za4wh.jpg

Or a Safety Hammerless (Lemon Squeezer) like this 32 Safety Hammerless.

32%20safety%20hammerless%20with%20box_zpsden38qga.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not into collecting pocket guns but I do get a lot of
them on trades. Usually unless collector grade they are hard to trade or sell. S&W or Colt in CF shooters
seem to have become popular. Rim fires are really hard to off unless collector grade or 22 cal. I bought
the S&W with a odd ball spur trigger 38 thrown in. I
didn't pay much attention to the 38. When I got them
home and I looked them over The 38 was a 41 RF and
Oatis Smith make. Good mechanical but finish had issues. Took me awhile to off it. Pocket guns are like
snowflakes you couldn't fit one of each in a pick up
truck and a lot of the low end ones are worth nothing
as collectors and shooters.IMG_3084.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cowboy shooters have been using pocket pistols since the sport started. Many of our stages start with 4 shots pocket pistol at a target 3 - 5 feet away. I remember a stage with a straw filled dummy seated across the poker table from the shooter. At the beep, pull your PP and pop 4 shots into the dummy, then raise to your feet for your pistol, rifle and shotgun targets. I used my own blackpowder reloads and set the dummy on fire. I think you could get $150 - 175 for that pistol, but double actions are a little more desirable. I have one of the 1 1/2's in 32 S&W, and also the larger frame of the same gun in 38 S&W. But I usually use a .32 Lemon Squeezer for competition.

Last edited:
Back