Hello All--First post and question about S&W key size

Trumpanista

Inactive
And my second S&W revolver purchase.
I don't really mind the Hillary hole so much. It's a brand new 586 L-Comp, and I'm very pleased with it.
I would like to know what size the torx security key is that fits this lock so I can buy a hex bit to put in this thing, it will be my new truck key fob, more useful and harder to lose than the tiny S&W key

Would love to see pics and hear your experiences with this gun.

I cannot answer you as far as switching to a hex bit but if you are inclined there used to be somebody selling a plug should you want to remove the lock.

I do have two lock having Smiths and have had no problems beyond aesthetics.

Congrats and enjoy the new blaster in good health.

Trumpanista said:
What happened to the other posts?
What other posts? I checked the edit log for this thread and nothing has been done to it other than editing your title to make it more informative.

Could be wrong, but I don't think the S&W key is a true Torx bit.

Torx bit probably won't work as Mal H stated. The key is open on the end & fits over a little post in the lock if memory serves.

The key is open on the end & fits over a little post in the lock if memory serves.
Ah! If that's the case then the key is probably a Tamper resistant Torx bit. I don't have a S&W key to look at.

If you're sure the key is splined and not a flat faced hex key, then you could buy a set like this one and you will be assured of getting the right one, and it should fit in the EverRatchet clip.

I bought an S&W "Hilly-hole" key from an online source for my Governor. IIRC, it cost $14. I'd be concerned about a warranty issue using something other than the S&W key.

I keep one on each of my key rings and I just double checked. The key isn’t a true hex but hollow in the center like was suggested. I am sure there is either something out there or something that can be fashioned but the easiest course of action would be to get a couple of keys from Smith like was suggested.

I don’t own a S&W with lock but I carry a key. It has worked on everyone I’ve had pass through on trades. Originally from 629. The key I have is actually a tiny socket. It goes over a stud not into it. I have a cheap miniature screw driver set that has miniature nut drivers and one of these fits S&W lock. Whole set was $4.99. Lowe’s had similar set for same money.

This is correct. The key is like a tiny socket, but it's five-sided, not six. S&W will send you one, but PM me if they won't.Trumpanista, and I'll send you one of mine...never use 'em. :rolleyes:

The key I have is actually a tiny socket. It goes over a stud not into it. I have a cheap miniature screw driver set that has miniature nut drivers and one of these fits S&W lock.

Attachments

• hillary hole 20200524.jpg
    hillary hole 20200524.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 24
Folks - even though it appears "Trumpanista" isn't going to return to post any answers or additional questions in this thread, he isn't trying to find a S&W key, he already has one. He wants to find a similar bit that will fit in the EverRatchet Clip. So telling him how to find one isn't answering his original question.

The new news from sparkyv that the key is 5-sided takes it out of the Torx key (either regular or security) range altogether.

Back