Height of Red Dot

Hicksville Kid

From what I've read and my own study of the Red Dot height, it would appear that lower is better. I see set-ups that have a C-More mounted at 90 degrees (from normal) in an effort to get the 'dot' lower. I'm curious as to 'how low can you go?'

I've got a CZ with a C-More STS conventionally mounted on it. The bottom of the STS is touching (or a millimeter off) of the upper surface of the slide. It can't get much lower. The top of the slide is .437" off the center line of the bore and the dot is .75 off the top of the slide. That puts the dot at approximately 1.184" off the center line of the bore.

My question is two fold. 1) What would I gain with a different set-up? Could I get it much lower with a different set-up? And 2) Would it be cost effective?

TIA

Using an optic with a smaller "screen" would get you lower, if that's what's important. Some people were mounting C-Mores upside down, years ago, but it seems the side mount is more popular now. The sight itself is blocking parts of your field of view, so maybe what part you want to forego might be as important as how low the dot can go.

What type of gun is it going on? It is faster initially to have the red dot close to where the iron sights would be so that it is easy to find the dot.

mvc-013f-7-16-2010.jpg

The longer the distance you are going to be shooting, the closer to the center line of the bore the reddot is, will be a big benifit.

The Doctor sight, low mounted lke the one in the picture puts the reddot as close to the center line as possible.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Back