Heckler and Koch P2000 v2 9mm (LEM model)

Oldjarhead

Been looking at possibly getting a Heckler and Koch P2000 v2 9mm LEM. Anyone have experience with this pistol? Advice appreciated. :confused:

The V2 is the heavy LEM. When I started with CBP, we were issued the .40 version. Very good gun, well underrated. Pretty much a modern USP Compact, but fussier trigger that really can’t be converted (you either get a DA/SA or LEM… can’t really convert across them). But you get the backstraps and a usable rail. Never had an issue, but it was unfortunately scrapped with about 2,000 rounds thru it. Would have bought it back without hesitation. We switched to Glock 19s, which I will buy back when it comes up.

It’s a good gun. I bought one (.40, since I have a lot of magazines/ammo) last year for like $500. Changed the springs out to V1 (light LEM), did the extended magazine release and got a .357 SIG barrel. I bought it because I carried one… nothing other than that.

If you want a hammer fired polymer gun, I would spend your money on something else… Beretta PX4 works. The biggest issue with H&K is the costs. Is it a good gun? Definitely, but I view there are better values out there.

In 9mm, it shouldn't batter itself into oblivion like they do in .40S&W.

The trigger rebound spring is one piece that typically breaks first. You can modify a cheap pair of needle nosed piers (narrow, then grind a small circle near the tip) to aid in replacement.

Weird, never saw a broken USP trigger rebound spring, but lots from P2000s.

I bought a V2 in .40 and replaced the trigger spring with the light return spring to make it a V1. Eventually, I'll install a GrayGuns short reset trigger kit in it. I love the P2000. I'll get one in 9mm eventually, as well. HK makes a great gun.

I had one with a light LEM trigger. I never could adapt to the trigger. It made no sense to me. I sold it. Great feeling handgun but even after hundreds of rounds I never liked the trigger. Definitely try before you buy. If I had I would have never bought it

I had one with a light LEM trigger. I never could adapt to the trigger. It made no sense to me. I sold it. Great feeling handgun but even after hundreds of rounds I never liked the trigger. Definitely try before you buy. If I had I would have never bought it

This. 100% agreed. I've had several LEM HK pistols, they're just too unorthodox and unlike anything else out there. I never liked them, kept them or warmed up to them.

The P2000 is probably one of my favorite pistols. I’ve owned a bunch. DA/SA and LEM, 9mm and 40SW, and the standard and smaller SK version. Overall I much prefer the DA/SA V3 P2000, though some people love LEM.

In terms of upgrades I usually do the Gray Guns reset kit, nickel-plated sear spring, a Wolff 12 or 10 lb. hammer spring for the USP, and the Talon Pro grips. I’ve also had mine milled for Wright Armory’s i-Dot optic system and had their NT7+ finish applied to the slide internals and barrel.

Wild Cat mentioned the use of the VP9/P30 magazine conversion kits. I have them in about 7 of the P2000 magazines and they’ve been great. I have also bought the newer VP9sk magazines with the 15 rd capacity. Those work, but you need to change the base pad. Those VP9sk magazines are marked to 15 rd (though in honesty I typically don’t look at the witness holes after I load the magazines).

Below are pull weights with the 12 lb. Wolff spring. Wild Cat mentioned the trigger still being long after the Gray Guns kit. I shoot Staccatos a fair amount and going back to my P2000 I don’t find the trigger to be noticeably long, but YMMV.

ce4114060fc19ba45a7b7b7aa0a01493.jpg

0baf9e813e9c0a783b0e0df2c795ef1e.jpg

With the Talon grips, it sure cleans up the 1990s looking graphic on the grip. Those looks good.

If nothing else, I think the P2000 is one of the more aesthetically pleasing guns-cleaner than the USP and not "batman" looking like the P30.

Not that a person asking to buy one is looking to sell, just know they do not hold their value as well and buyers are a little thin compared to a P30.

Buying used isn't a terrible idea.

I’m less concerned about the looks and more the lack of traction with the stock grips.

The one in this picture was bought used. I bought a new one at the beginning of the year for $580 from EuroOptic, and with that came the HK webstore credit for $200.

I carried one for 8 years before retiring. Put about 6000 rounds through it. Liked it. I'd have bought it if I could have. I own a USPcLEM .40 (INS employee purchase plan) and like it at least as well as the P2k.

I mean to say, bonus that the grip is better, because the lines sure are slick but also look dated.

Lucky on the 500. That's what a sold my first one before getting the keeper current.

Thanks for all the replies. I did my research. The P2000 .40 LEM, was in the largest Federal law enforcement purchase in history. 65,000 were contracted for DHS, ICE, and border patrol agents in 2004. These P2000 pistols passed a 3 million round torture test. Well, loaded with this information, I went ahead and bought a P2000 9mm LEM V2. The trigger press in pre-cocked condition isn't bad. A little on the heavy but very manageable trigger. Bought it with 3 thirteen round magazines and bought a P30/VP9 17 round magazine with the X Factor sleeve. Works great. I shot 400 rounds of a combination of 9mm FMJ 124gr NATO, Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ, and Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ law enforcement ammunition. No problems. Flawless. What is interesting, is with the P2000's record of achievement, it is so overlooked and under appreciated.

I can't comment on the 2000, however I did just buy my first HK. A P30SK. It seems to be of good quality and is a Tac Driver at the range. It has been my carry of choice for the last 6 weeks.

Back