hecker & koch fabarm

gitarmac

I was in the market for an autoloading shotgun but didn't have a lot of cash to spend (due mostly to recent firearm purchases!) and went looking hoping to find a used shotgun. One of the places I went to had a new one made by fabarm, apparently distributed by H&K. It looked kind of cheap with the plastic forearm and I think the stock is plastic also but fit real good and I figured the plastic would be more durable so I got it. It came with 4 chokes and a cool case for 450 bucks. I immediatly went to the range to try it out and it worked pretty good. It choked on two shells but I was using some old ones that were loose in my ammo can. The new shells worked great. It's very light and easy to point. The only bad thing is it only holds 3 shells. I plan on using it mostly on deer drives with buckshot and don't think I'll need more than 3 shots, and at least I don't have to worry about beating up a nice expensive gun. Tommorrow I'm going to take it to have the stock cut down and a nice recoil pad put on. I got it to replace my mossberg 500 pump cause the thing is so dang rattly and noisy. Has anyone ever heard of these shotguns?

Interesting question. Yes, some people have. This also brings to mind the latest CDNN catalog, which had a bunch of different FABARMS advertised...

Time for a Fabarm discussion.

I recently purchased a FABARM Sporting Clays Competition Lion Extra (whew) ;). I found one from D&R Sports and had my dealer order it for me. He ordered it COD and the charge was around $1470 or so. It came in a pretty decent suitcase type case with felt lining and a separate pocket with a lid for the 8 choke tubes and the extra front sights. It came with the red sight installed and has an extra white and an amber sight. They are threaded and screw into the barrel. The forend and butt stocks are oiled walnut and are really pretty, the wood has a lot of figure in it. The carbon fiber coating on the barrel, receiver and other metal parts is very unique and gives the gun a very striking appearance. Not for everyone I suppose, but I like it.

I took the gun out the day after I got it to shoot a practice round of 100 sporting clay targets. I mostly shoot handguns so it had been over a year since I had fired a shotgun. I was only able to score about 44 out of 100 but that was no fault of the gun. I need to take a lesson and practice. I let a friend do some 5-Stand shooting with it and he did very well. The gun functioned flawlessly, the auto-ejectors worked fine, the new gun was a little stiff but has improved since then, and the trigger was light and had no creep. I don't know what the trigger pull weight is. I cleaned the gun up and put it away until the next weekend and took it out for a charity clay bird tournament in which I shot about the same number of targets. With some practice and a lesson or two I think I can do pretty well with this gun. I may not have shot the best but I think I should have gotten style points as the gun generated a lot of attention and questions due to its unique appearance and sarcity of this brand around.
I had one guy mad at me because I wouldn't trade it for his new $1200 Franchi o/u and $600 cash. I told him the Franchi was nice but I just bought this gun and I wanted to shoot it awhile before I had any thoughts of selling it.

I'm happy with it and plan to keep it. HK gives a lifetime warranty on it so if anything breaks on it I should only be out the cost of shipping it. I got the 28" barrels as I felt this was more suited to my needs, it also comes in 30". The choke tubes stick out almost 3/4" and are knurled for easy removal, a tool is supplied. I am typing from memory but I think the supplied chokes are: full, light full, improved modified, modified, light modified, improved cylinder, cylinder, and skeet. The barrels are ported.

Back