Heavybarreled varminters?

BMiracle

I am looking to buy a heavy barreled varminter. Something in either 223 or 22-250. Must be extremely accurate. Any suggestions from you all as to a particular rifle? I have been eyeballing a Ruger with a stainless barrel at the local gun shop. Info please.

Remington 700VS has a great reputation for accuracy. For availability of brass and loaded ammo, .223 beats .22-250 senseless. I'd sorta-kinda in the same mode of thinking as you, and I really want a 700VS in .223.

I favor the Rem. 700 VLSs and have been more than pleased with a .223 and 22-250. I delt with the dilemma of which one by getting both. Both have their advantages and I wouldn't part with either one.
Best of Luck eh!

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000

I own a Remington 700 VS in .223. The rifle shoots better than I ever will. Out of the box accuracy is insane. I've got a cheapy Tasco scope on there now and get <1" groups at 100 yards. .223 ammo is inexpensive and plentiful. Go with the .223. Good luck!

Don't buy, build. You'll never be happier
than when you own a rifle built to spec
by a benchrest gunsmith. When you build a rifle normal consicerations go out the window. You'll not buy ammo, you'll load it.
It will clean easier, be more accurate than a
factory rifle, be smoother in the action,
and most importantly, it will be right.

Tough choice. I solved that problem by getting a Ruger KM77VTMKII in 22-250 and a NEF Handi Rifle in .223. The Ruger has a better scope on it and I'm using hunting ammo rather than the PMC that I'm feeding the NEF. But at 100 yards the difference is really negligible. I still have to get them both out to 200 yards to see what the difference is.

Back