heavy metal!!

bamaranger

I spend a good bit of time outdoors in March, scouting spring gobblers, and I typically have a handgun, a "woods gun" along. For the past decade or so, my woods handgun has been a Glock 20. Prior that, it was often a Ruger Blackhawk .357, 4-5/8 " bbl. This spring I decided to dust off the Ruger and take it walking again.

So, I plunked it into the replica tanker chest holster and off I went. It didn't take long to realize that the Ruger was a bit heavier than the G20. So much so that I looked up some handgun weights, empty. Now an "empty" weight isn't much practical use, fill the G20 up with 16 ctgs, and it weighs more, of course. And who totes about any handgun empty? But it serves as a reference. All htese weights are online sourced.

Thus: -Ruger B-hawk, .357, 4-5/8" bbl.....46 ozs
-S&W M28 " " 4" ............41 ozs
-Colt 1911, 5" .........................39 oz
-S&W 629 Mtn, .44mag, 4"........... 38 oz
-G20.........................................27 +/- w/o mag
30.8 w/ mag
39.7 loaded

All these serious handguns come in around 40 ozs. But the Ruger is head and shoulders above the others in weight. And that's with an alloy frame! It's no wonder they have such a reputation for durability.

Ever look at the weight of a period or good repro sword?
Two to two and a half pounds for one meant for daily wear, not a claymore or other two handed melee weapon.

Try packing a loaded Desert Eagle.....just under 7lbs. (about 112oz)

457_zps3otavj9v.jpg

My daily carry rig tips the scales right at 6 lb. Fully loaded CZ 97B + 2 spare mags and a Glock knife, all hung on a High Noon shoulder rig. Fits nicely under my everyday vest. I'm no young guy, 66 years old with a hip replacement.

I have guns from 10.2 ounce to a 39 ounce 1911. They all have their place but when I shoot for fun, it's the 1911 every time.

There are three things that I love to have on my hip, but hate to carry (especially now that I have some great light weight everyday carry options):

1. 5.5" .327 Federal Blackhawk. 48 oz, empty.
2. 7.5" Super Blackhawk. 48 oz, empty.
3. 4.2" .327 Federal GP100. 40 oz empty.

Surprisingly, the longer barrel of the Super Blackhawk is not much of an annoyance. The 5.5" Blackhawk, for some reason, always irritates me more than anything else, and feels like I'm dragging a safe. Fun to shoot. A pain to carry.

In contrast, the current carry pieces come in at:
LCP - 12.7 ounces.
LCR - ~18.5 ounces. (.327 Federal)
-loaded.

(Looks like my postal scale is dying. Couldn't get a good read on the LCR. Hence, the estimate.)

comments

Some comments on posts to this point:
-my nickname for the Desert Eagle .44 "the world's only crew served handgun"
-swords, I have a Cold Steel Katana, a gift from my black belt class, 41.4oz
according to the Cold Steel stats. Everybody that ever handles it remarks
as to how heavy it feels. The demo/safe swords and cheaper live blades
are considerably lighter
-I find 6" tubes a pain to carry, and rid myself of all my 6" revolvers some
time ago. I took a hike in AR one time, fit and able, with a 6" M29 in
Ouachita NF, and that little jaunt was the convincer
-A 5.5" Single Six, my Dad's, rides in a flap crossdraw, on my off side. While bulky, is not
to bad

As I age, all my guns seem to get lighter and shorter.

My 5.5" Super Blackhawk doesn't irritate me to carry it, but it sure would annoy whatever/whoever is on the receiving end :p

61d1594ede1eb50022d29f6f18d897d449e7fa6.jpg

Woods Guns Weights?

Thanks guys for the great replies to OP.Now I feel like a sensibly armed(LCP) 74 yr. old with issues instead of a "mall ninja".Thanks again!

What I've found is that several ounces in a handgun, one way or the other, is almost negligible if one has a proper holster for the job. Even a lightweight, compact handgun can be a nuisance if it flops around bangin' against you, or hanging from your shoulder from a thin strap. I can carry my Colt 5'' Government, fully loaded with two spare mags on my Galco shoulder rig all day and forget it's even there. It too probably totals 4#s when all is said and done.

Back