Heavy bullets in a 270 Weatherby

chuckscap

Hi all, I've got a vintage (meaning well used) Mark V in 270 Weatherby I bought pretty cheaply a few years ago. I'm thinking of shooting 165g or heavier bullets in it. Anyone else doing the same?

You'll just have to try, there aren't many 165+ bullets in .277 out there. Anything with a VLD profile will probably need a faster than factory twist barrel. Hawk makes some "round tip" bullets in 165 and 180 Train that'll probably shoot fine in a factory barrel. I've never seen a need to shoot those bullets to be effective for hunting.

If I recall correctly, the older 270 Weatherby rifles had a 1 in 12" rifling twist that may be marginal to stabilize longer bullets. Back in those days they were mainly thinking about 130 grain bullets. Fortunately for me, the 270 Winchester typically has a 1 in 10" twist. I believe the 270 caliber is at its best with heavier bullets. I prefer 150 grain bullets, especially Nosler Partitions. The Weatherby offers higher velocity which will also increase the rate of spin and perhaps make up for the slower twist to some degree. Have you tried 150 grain bullets yet? If so, how was the accuracy? If you can't get them to shoot well, you will probably not get longer ones to shoot well either. But you can't know for sure until you try them. Good luck, and by all means, let us know how it goes.

Not sure what year Wby made change for 1/12 twist to 1/10 twist for the 270 Wby. They do have a Wby forum on their site that you could get that data from.

Matrix was making 165gr for the 270's but new owners don't have 270 cal listed. Hammer bullets is making 270 but not sure how heavy.

I build 270 Wby using Mike Rock 1/10 twist barrel and it will handle the Berger 170gr VLD.

Speer used to make 170gr RN bullet and I have data but it's old for 270 Wby with that bullet and that rifle had 1/12 twist barrel @ 2890fps.

Wby freebore is .378" for 270Wby, might want to have that checked.

This is data for the Berger 170gr.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/introducing-the-berger-270-caliber-170-grain-eol-elite-hunter/

I live 7700ft and hunt higher so using Berger twist calculator and know velocity I'm over SG-1.50. It's not a rifle I'd hunt lower with using that bullet. If I draw above timberline buck here in Co this coming year I'll use that rifle.

I shoot a 270 Win, I have no experience with the Weatherby, but when if comes to bullet weight, there is no difference when it comes to twist.

Bullet length determines twist, not weight and not velocity.

In the 170 mentioned above, even Berger says it requires a faster twist. If you feel the need of a heavier bullet, you need to switch bullets.

I thought I would go that route with my Model 70 Featherweight (my primary hunting rifle).

Then wondered WHY? I haven't found a need for anything heavier then 150. For elk I use the Hornady 150 gr. Interbond. Its GI BC is .525 at normal 270 Win. velocities, (I load mine to 2750). It stays super sonic to 1500 yards making it quite accurate.

Most hunting bullet makers say, to be effective, min. velocity at the target should be 1800 fps. The 150 IB in my loading has that velocity at 700 yards, making it effective at any normal hunting range.

I found it quite effective on elk, though I will confess the farthest I've shot elk with this load is 365 yards. It was a young cow that went about 75 yards, but that was because she was rolling down hill into the creek.

Interbonds are pricy, about twice the cost of the Hornady 150 SST, but the SST has the same BC as the IB, at half the cost I can get some good long range practice, then switch to the IB for hunting. Mixing them, shooting a group, you can't tell which one is which on target.

I know that Pac-Nor makes a 5 groove 1-8" twist 270, but I know of no other company that cuts a 270 barrel any faster than 1-10.

If they did I am sure there would be more demand for long slim heavy 270 bullets. But most folks think of the 270 bore as a hunting rifle and not a target rifle. I would bet that the 270 would beat out the 7mms and nearly keep up with the 6.5s if such bullets were offered, but if pigs had wings they might fly.
In all honesty having a whole new market section opened up for .277 long range shooting would be redundant. I know the math shows that it will beat the 284s and the .308s, but it's largely just number crunching. The truth is that the game is over complex now, and most shooter concentrate too much on gear and not enough on skill.

I love my 270s. In fact they are one of my all-time favorite calibers, but I have lost nearly all interest I ever had in target shooting.

For long range I have found nothing in my 52 years of hunting that has convinced me that any other shell really beats the 270 by enough to make me want to buy one. I have made a long shot once on a moose with a 375 H&H, but other than that one moose, I cannot recall any game animal I have ever killed over 500 yards with any rifle caliber other than a 270 Winchester, and I have seen maybe 30 head of deer antelope and elk killed by men I was hunting with with larger more powerful rifles, but none of them really killed the game any faster than my 270s.

Several were as good, but I can't say I have seen anything better so far.

When I was shooting long range with my hunting rifles I didn't go "all-nutso" over slick "new-improved" anything. I used at 500 to 900 yards what I used at 100 to 200 yards. Mostly Nosler Partition bullets and a few others thrown in now and then. I learned over the life of 3 rifle barrels what to hold over, at what ranges, and that what I did.

Anyway, I do not know if there really is any call or need to shoot anything heavier than the 160 grain Nosler. Maybe, but I doubt I'll live long enough to see enough testing of the idea to impress me.

In my 52 years of hunting I have used many different rifles and caliber as well as a lot of different bullets. As a gunsmith I have made many hundreds of rifles in so many calibers I can't count them and I have shot all of them to some extent.
I own a 300 mag, and I have owned several 6.5MMs 7MMs 300s and 338s in the past. All were used to kill game. All worked very well. But the truth is that none haves really seemed to kill any faster or any better than my 270s. Many were not really quite as good.

I would assume that a hit with a 250 grain 338 on an elk at 1200 would have a faster killing effect than a 150 or 160 grain 270 on the same elk at that range, but I don't do that. I see no reason to try and I see several reasons not to.

Real world experience has shown me that at ranges out to about 700 the extra power of the faster bigger magnums is not really doing a better job of killing game. it doesn't hurt, but I can't say it helps.

These days I have pulled back from the "long range game" when I hunt. It's not fun for me anymore. I keep all my shots at 500 meters or closer, and I prefer to be MUCH closer.

Just as a note of interest, here is a 160 grain Nosler Partition I took from the neck of last years elk. 270 WSM, about 400 yards away. Hit in front of the left hip about 10" with the elk angling away from me strongly. Bullet went through the whole length of the body from entry to the right side mid neck, and was found against the skin. This was the 2nd shot. First one hit broadside and exited the other side, but I under estimated the wind and hit the liver instead of the lungs. The elk turned to go away from me so I shot again. When I gutted it out I found this 2nd shot was probably not necessary, but I keep shooting if they don't fall. Most do fall, but this one didn't, so I shot 2 times.
The bullet still weights 129 grains.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I hunted and killed a bunch of elk with my BDL in 270 Win handloading 150g Partitions at around 3000 fps. I gave that rifle to my youngest son a few years ago (the older one has the mirror image left handed version) and he's already killed his first elk and a 550 lb feral hog with it. So this 270 Weatherby is kind of a cheap project rifle (oxymoron there ..) and soon to be Dad's new elk rifle. Krieger makes a 1 in 8" twist barrel, and I was thinking of going with a B&C synthetic straight comb stock, and get the whole rifle down to about 6.5 lbs. Matrix makes 165g high BC bullets but they aren't bonded. I guess I could shoot the 150g Accubond LRs at 3300 fps ...

Lilja making 1/8 twist barrel for 270

http://riflebarrels.com/calibers-and-twist-rates/

Matrix has been sold and new owner don't make 270 bullets.

http://matrixballistics.com/product-summary-hunting.html

Krieger will made a 1/8 for 270 under their special order.

This is from Krieger on special twist

https://kriegerbarrels.com/twist

Might want to check out Benchmark barrels

http://www.benchmark-barrels.com/Benchmark_Barrels/Benchmark_Barrels_-_Contours.html

I can order a Brux 1/8 twist for 270.

I forgot to add Hart for 1/8 twist barrel for 270

http://www.hartbarrels.com/barrels/caliber-and-twist/

Wyosmith, there is a demand for those for the 1/8 twist barrels and those heavy bullets. I don't think you going to find anyone shooting them at BR but you will find hunters using them with the money to build what they want instead of what something think they should use.

Last edited:
chucksap said:
I was thinking of going with a B&C synthetic straight comb stock, and get the whole rifle down to about 6.5 lbs.

That is going to be really tough to do. The B&C stock weighs 2.25 lbs, that leaves 4.25 lbs for the barreled action. I know the Weatherby gets down around 6.75 lbs with their factory lightweight Mark V, you'll spend a lot of money chasing an extra 4 ounces to hit your target weight.

Thanks Old Roper, I was unaware that anyone in the USA but Pac-Nor was cutting faster twist .277" barrels. That info may be handy to know if the demand start to grow around here.
A bonded core 185 grain 270 bullet of high quality would be a real down-range performer I am sure.
Now, if an American company will make some........

I think I'll make a few calls and see what I am told.

Wyosmith, Since I only own one rifle with factory barrel and very luck I have money to build what I want. It's strange to me that others are trying to prove what 270's can't do. What would the 6.5 be without VLD bullets same with 6mm/284/30cal.

What they do with 270 in VLD is going to be very small compared to the other's.

Hammer bullet is US company and someone on LR hunting site is trying to buy the Martix bullet making dies for the 270's.

Well proving what a 270 can't do, you have to do all the research on what it can do. So far I have not asked my 270s to do anything that I felt was beyond them in over half a century. As I said above they have done far more than all the "experts" have said they would do.

I know of no one shooting them at Camp Perry, but in the hands of a 1st class marksman I am sure they would hold their own with what we have available now, and if the barrel and bullet makers would cater to the caliber, I am sure there would make a lot of shooters change their minds.

I am not holding my breath but the potential is there.

If 6.75 lbs is as low as I can go, no sweat, thanks for the info. My CZ in 500 Jeffery weighs 12 lbs with scope, which I took elk hunting last year (got a cow elk at 225 yards), so it will be a lot lighter than that :) Should shoot a whole lot flatter too!

Wyosmith, Since all the bullets for 270 are for hunting I would also assume no one at Camp Perry is shooting those type bullet in their rifles.

You are posting about what 270 can't do so let's end this.

Yes, exactly.
There are a very few 270 Target bullets, but not enough to get anyone interested enough to start a new trend.

Sierra makes one.
Matrix made one (not anymore I guess)

I know of no other.

Burger makes .277 bullets that are marketed as hunting bullets, but they are awful for that purpose. They would probably do well as target bullets however.
Just a thought.....

a 30 cal m2 ball round 150gr. will penetrate a 10" diameter tree. Saw that on an old WW2 training video. A 270 with 150 gr. should do as well. Why go heavier?

I have a Douglas 1:9" twisted barrel on my .270 win., as I was chasing heavy bullet use, I'm stuck on 150 gen ABLR bullets from Nosler. It loves those dudes....

Back