Heavy Bullet .357 Sig Loads

DougB

I have a Kel-Tec P40. I'm thinking of getting a .357 Sig barrel for it and carrying it backpacking for defense against black bear and mountain lion. I've used a .357 revolver for this purpose in the past, but I like the compactness, light-weight, and high-capacity of the Kel-Tec. Since I can't imagine shooting at these animals unless I were in immediate danger - meaning they would have to be very close (or I'd be yelling and waving rather than shooting), I think I can live with the reduced accuracy of the DAO trigger.

Anyway, my concern is that, while the .357 Sig apparently equals or surpasses the .357 mag with light bullet loads from short barreled guns, I haven't seen much about heavier bullet loads for the Sig (for increased penetration). I understand that the Sig was developed to duplicate the .357 Mag 125gr hollow-point loads that are well-proven against humans, but I'd like to find (or load) something closer in performance to 158gr .357 mag softpoints or SWCs. I've considered the 147 gr 9mm bullets, but I suspect that they are designed to expand at lower velocities and may not penetrate too well.

Thoughts?

P.S. - Sorry to bring up "bears" again - I know some won't be able to resist telling me that neither the Sig nor the Magnum are adequate to the task. Please remember that I'll not be hunting them - this is analogous to carring a P32 for self defense (probably no one's first choice, but much better than nothing when you can't/won't carry something bigger).

Doug

Hornady has a 147gr. load.
I have doubts...
I would carry my G29 rather than the G33, but I see your point. Having someone who is slower with you is an option.:)

Have you ever perused the links section of this board? There is a bear attack page. At the end, it suggests that some park rangers tested handguns against dead bear skulls, (it's been a while since I read it, so check it out yourself rather than trust me, and for that matter, you might try to find the source rather than trust a webpage), and I think their conclusion was that many handgun loads can be effective against bears, but you have to hit them low in the face due to the geometry of their heads. Good luck, I'd want something bigger, there's a reason they say "loaded for bear".

G33,

I nearly purchased a G29 for this purpose a couple of weeks ago (before the most recent California ban took effect). Unfortunately, due to the one-handgun-a-month law and a previous committment on another handgun, I was unable to get it. I expect that they may eventually be approved here (a Glock rep told me that all their guns eventually would be tested), so this may become an option again. But I still want to pursue the Kel-Tec option as well (trading a little power for lighter and thinner).

I'd still like to hear about some .357 Sig heavy bullet, deep penetrating loads.

Doug

The cartridge doesn't work for $hit with heavy bullets; seats too deep, leaving exposed bullet base dangling in the combustion area.

Wrong cartridge for bear -- think bigger hole.

All you folks who think bears are like Bambi, please rethink your actual need, then go buy a 45 Redhawk.

The .355" 9mm bullets were originally designed with a very long nose section that makes the OAL of the .357 Sig too long for the magazine when using most of the heavier bullets. This is the same problem encounted years earlier with the 9x25 Dillon.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... heavy bullet .357 sig?

Wouldn't that be a .40S&W?

PS: Wear Nikes while hunting bear. You're gonna need 'em with this load.

Back