Heavy barrel for 10/22

spleenandideal

Hello~
My sweetie gave me a 20" Green Mountain stainless steel .920" dia. fluted barrel for a ruger 10/22, as a valentine's present (Sure beats the box of chocolates I gave her!)

I already have a near-identical heavy-bbl'd 10/22, which I never put through a "break-in" period because it was not recommended by some long-time .22 shooters. Hell, some of these guys don't even clean their weapons!

Anyway, I have this virgin barrel-- now, should I go through a break-in period with this one or shoot the heck out of it like my older 10/22 ( which, BTW shoots 1" groups at 50 yards)?

If so, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as my GF is eager to see how well she can shoot the present she bought for me....don't want to dissappoint her, ya know?

salut!

I have two of the same barrels on my beloved STC guns. They were put together by one of the top rimfire competitors in the country and he didn't give me any special instructions on break-in, though he was very specific on the ammo that should be used in my particular gun and on a very frequent cleaning regimen.

Rob~

Thanks for the response--you've always been one of the few who takes the time to respond to questions that I'm sure with your vast gun-experience find mundane.

Would you mind sharing your strict cleaning regimen with me? I have always followed a strict post-shooting scrubbing regimen every time I shoot, but it seems there is some dispute about .22 rimfire cleaning procedures. Some folks I know NEVER clean their 22s, while others clean after every few shots while at the bench.

Appreciate it! :)

Okay, onfession time... I never clean my .22s ;)... Okay, I never clean my plinking .22s, unless I spray oil on them or use a rusty nail to pick out the chunks of grime in the action.

I was advised to get a high quality WOODEN cleaing rod to use on the STC guns. The builder advised running a couple pacthes (one wet, one dry) through every 50 shots or so during practice, and immediately after every event. He recommending going light on the oil in the action, so as not to collect dust & gunk. I have been pretty good abot keeping the guns clean, but I haven't bothered to get on eof those wooden cleaning rods... ;)

While I may try to post as much as I can on any topic I feel lke I can contribute to, I am not the guy to talk to about cleaning, trust me.

You should be very happy with the Green Mountina barrel, at any rate.

Rob~

Thanks for the info..... never seen any modern wooden cleaning rods. Yeah, I used to enjoy cleaning my guns, but have gotten to the point where I wish there was a guncleaning service available for those lazy shooters (me).

Well, when I finally get a new stock and install the bbl, I'm expecting good results.

Happy shooting to all!

Back