Heavy 44spl, a little quick load help would be appreciated

Shadow9mm

The rifle is a 20in barrel Henry lever gun chambered in 44mag/44spl.

The load will be a 44spl with a home cast, gas checked, powder coated, 285g wide flat nose bullets

Bullet length 0.785
base (with gas check) to crimp groove 0.358

The powder will be Power Pistol. I have tried a couple other powders with different bullet weights with poor results (HP-38, CFE Pistol, H110) and I would really prefer not to try other powders right now. Power pistol produced great results with 240s.

The goal
This will be a hunting load for deer this fall. I want the loads to be subsonic to protect my ears, I'm hoping to get up to 1,050fps give or take a bit.

As this gun is chambered in 44mag, I don't have any issues pushing the pressures up beyond 44spl levels up towards 44mag pressures. But I would really prefer to keep my gun, eyes, and finger and not have to blindly work this load up.

On a side note, this ammo will be marked as +P+ and not safe for use in any 44spl guns. I also don't have any 44spl guns it could get mixed into and don't plan to.

Last edited:
OK, I'll run it. But as I'm sure you know, Quickload is not at its best with straight walled cartridges. With the numbers you provided, you should have a COL of 1.58. With 7.4 gr of Power Pistol (46.2% fill), the estimated velocity is 1,058 at a MAP of 13 ksi. Of course, SAAMI max is 15.5. What will it do in your rifle? I load a lot of cartridges and run all of them through Quickload. Sometimes it's close, sometimes it's off by several hundred. But there you go. Not pushing it all that hard.

I mocked it up. I used a Hornady 300 grain XTP for the projectile. It sits .365 deep in the case - close enough IMO to your .358.

8.0 grains of Power Pistol yields 1110 f/s through a 20" bbl.

Peak pressure is 16.9 Kpsi. (15.5 is considered SAAMI max). So this is a slight overcharge by 44 Special standards, but quite mild by Mag standards.

Most likely, you'll need less charge to stay subsonic with a 285 grain bullet.

I wonder what portion of the overall sound level is the sonic boom of a supersonic bullet from an unsuppressed rifle?

Please share your results. We like to check QL estimates.

I will

On a side note. This gun generally seems to shoot slow with 44mag rifle data. If I need to push up, where are the upper limits, say 28k psi? That should give me enough wiggle room to push up a little if I need to but make sure I have a safety buffer from max 44mag pressures as we are using computer generated loads. I'm planning to start at 7.4g and work up from there.

Last edited:
I wonder what portion of the overall sound level is the sonic boom of a supersonic bullet from an unsuppressed rifle?
While i dont reccomended it. Letting off a couple subsonics dont leave my ears ringing or in pain, thinking hunting. Also when shooting at my outdoor range, the sonic boom echos off the trees, and seems a lot sharper.

Last edited:
Other than you've got them, any reason for using .44 Special brass??

I've got several .44 mags that will shoot special brass, but only a partial box of special brass (that came in a trade with other things). I simply don't bother with .44 Special, and I load my .44 Mag brass from subsonic to max without any problems.

I don't have a .44 special, and no plans to get one.

Why not just use .44 mag cases for your loads??

Other than you've got them, any reason for using .44 Special brass??

I've got several .44 mags that will shoot special brass, but only a partial box of special brass (that came in a trade with other things). I simply don't bother with .44 Special, and I load my .44 Mag brass from subsonic to max without any problems.

I don't have a .44 special, and no plans to get one.

Why not just use .44 mag cases for your loads??
44spl brass has been cheaper and more readily available than 44 mag brass since I bought the rifle.

The reduced volume in 44spl brass is more efficient. I can achieve the same velocities using less powder.

The bullet I am casting is designed specifically for 44spl brass, and is too long to use in 44mag brass.

Last edited:
Got results! 7.4g was on the money!

Starline brass
CCI large pistol primers #300
Power Pistol 7.4g
Henry 44mag/44spl lever gun, 20in barrel
284g wide flat nose, gas checked, powder coated home cast bullets.

10 shots
Avg 1059
Es 26
Sd 7.92

Last edited:
Back