Heavier Bullets for Mini 14?

Jamie Young

Believe it or not folks i have seen a guy shoot 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100yds with a mini 14. I talked to a guy that was shooting tacks on a paper plate at 100yds and i know he said he wasn't shooting 55gr bullets. I thought he said he was shooting 62gr bullets.
I personally can keep my 55gr soft point reloads in a 3 inch group if i take my time shooting but when i shot the 60gr hollow points and 62gr steel core bullets they shot about 15 inches higher at 100yds than my 55gr bullets. Is it normal to have such drastic bullet trajectories being only 5-7 grains heavier? Maybe some of you AR-15 Guys could help with that question?

Also does anyone out there reload anything heavier than 55gr bullets? If so what kind?
And whats your experience with them?

Thanks

Was at my friends gun shop (title II manufacturer) the other day, and a guy who also visits regularily and I got into a discussion about the mini-14's accuracy, and he said the heavier the bullet, the better the accuracy. He said 62 grains was the minimum weight he would use, all the way up to 70 grains plus. I dont know where he got the bullets of that weight, but he claimed to have owned several mini's over several years, and from what others have said, go with the heaviest bullets you can get to improve the mini-14's accuracy.

Back