Heavier 9mm Loads For Reduced Recoil and Defense?

GunFool

Most of the talk I see for 9mm ammunition is for the higher velocity/lighter bullet-weight loads like 115gr, 124gr +P, etc. I prefer the lightest possible recoil in all of my handguns while still retaining enough practical accuracy and bullet expansion for defensive purposes. So...what has been your experience with loads such as:

Federal Hydra-Shok 135gr VS. Winchester Silvertip 147gr.

Anyone had a chance to compare these two?

Hello, Gunfool! I cannot compare either of the two loads you specified as I don't care for the Federal PD line of ammo nor the "heavy" bullet concept in 9mm.

However, I would state that in standard pressure, standard velocity, and therefore "standard recoil," that 2 loads made by Federal would be hard to beat: Federal Nyclad 124 gr HP and their 115 gr JHP (9BP). Out of my Browning, the Nyclad clocks just under 1100 ft/sec while the lighter bullet hits something just over it.

Both rounds use rounded ogive bullets with plain, old-fashioned hollow points. The Nyclad is a lead bullet with a thin nylon jacket such that it can expand well at lower velocities. The 115 gr has conventional gilding metal as a jacket and careful, close examination will show it to be skived longitudinally to promote expansion.

Both have proven reasonably accurate in the following guns and exceptionally so in some: HKP7, SIG P210, Browning HP, CZ-75, Star Model B and Model 28, Glock 26, and others I'm sure I've forgotten.

Neither round kicks "hard."

Both rounds have expanded in various test media as well as a
number of varmints I've shot with them over the years.

While I personally prefer the high-performance rounds for serious purposes, I do like the two rounds mentioned, enough so that I bought two cases of each to set back.

Best.

I don't own any 9mm's. I really need to correct that defect. Anyway, I've always found that the lighter bullets have a "faster" recoil impulse, allowing me to get back on target faster, while the heavier bullets, although they don't snap as hard, seem to recoil for a longer duration, if that makes any sense. Some people do better with snappy recoil, some with a slow pushing recoil. I personally think that snappier is faster, even though I prefer heavy for caliber loadings.

As a reloader, I'll tell you that heavier bullets especially in self defense factory loads generate much more recoil and muzzle flip that lighter bullets.

Stick to 124 + P bullets like Rem Golden Sabres, HydraShoks, or the like.

GunFool,

For maximum power and expansion, I recommend you consider 115 gr bullets at 1300-1400 fps for your 9x19 ammo.

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Back