Heat/AC in shed for reloading climate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jproaster

Long story short- lost my reloading space in the house. So since I'm building a new shed (12x16) for storage, moto maintenance, general workspace, I'm thinking of sectioning off one end for reloading. If that's a good idea here in humid SE Tenn., I could use some suggestions for climate control.

The shed will be approximately 40 ft to 60 ft from the breaker box in my house.
Btw, I've always wanted an excuse to buy a Honda generator...assuming they're as quiet as I'd imagine.

Thanks for "any" helpful info.

John

When I lived out West I bought a portable shed about 10x12 specifically for reloading. I insulated and sheetrocked the inside to keep temp swings down, ran power to it, and installed a ceramic heater. For your situation, I would also add a 5,000+ BTU window AC unit

You probably won't want to run a generator 24/7/365 to maintain the temperature and humidity in the shed, so why bother? Unless the shed is well-insulated, once it gets cold it'll take time to warm up and, once it's hot, it'll take time to cool down. And that just affects the ambient temperature. It will take a lot longer for stored materials such as powder, brass, and bullets to stabliize at "room" temperature if you don't maintain that temperature on a long-term basis.

40 to 60 feet isn't that long a distance, and PVC conduit isn't expensive. If you have a spare breaker space or two in your electric panel, why not just run a 12/3 cable out to the new shed and do it right? That way, if you know you'll be doing a reloading session on Saturday, you can fire up the heat or a/c on Friday and let things get stabilized before you go out there and start work.

To help control heat in Summer, you might install a small electric fan to keep the air moving all the time. Or maybe one of those turbine roof ventilators that spin by the power of the heat alone:

046388181252lg.jpg

Last edited:
You have several options to "climate control" your new space.
I tink you are going to run out of space if you plan to do any auto maintenance but it will be cramped even if a motorcycle is put in.
Preparation is key. A good, solid, foundation that is insulated from the ground is the first step. 2x6 walls so you can use R-19 insulation, no windows for better heat control and to keep prying eyes out. Ceiling insulation of at least R30 (I used R60). Use 5/8" OSB inside and out to strengthen the frame and use 5/8 OSB for the roof sheathing too. On the outside put 5/16 Hardie board siding on over the OSB for fire resistance. Use insulated fire doors for entry and the "garage" door. Plan on 8 to 10 outlets (on two separate circuits) and lighting on the ceiling (one circuit).

Now, if you are going to have a compressor you will need a dedicated circuit for that and for air conditioning and heat you can use a 20 amp 240V circuit for that. The Heat Pump is a very economical way to go for an open room. Your room is small so a small heater and a window air conditioner would work but then you have a big intrusion through the wall. You will need to have fuel for the heater and another dedicated outlet for the air conditioner. Running power from your home to the shed will be easy IF you have a couple of free circuits but you will need to bury a ground in or around your foundation. A 50 amp box will serve all your needs - including the heat pump and compressor.
You will want your reloading bench as far from the air conditioner/heat pump head as you can get it. They can move a bunch of air.

I built my two car garage and shop in this way and it is very inexpensive to heat and cool both (24x28) with a moderate size mini-double head unit. Tight construction and insulation is key.

Whatever you do, unless you intend to always keep the space climate controlled, I'd suggest storing powder and primers, at least, somewhere in your home. Then, wide and abrupt temperature swings in your work shed should be less problematic.

Thanks all. Some good solid advice.

Anyone know about devices like Climateright? Or other portable ac or heat solutions? I only want to control the environment of the 5'x 11' space. The ac is the main concern I have. Dont really want a window unit.

Thanks again.
John

Step #1 would be to double the size of your shed, at least. I have a 10 x 16 and it's amazing just how little space there is once you start shoving "storage" stuff in there. It fills up very fast. Mine has 7' walls, so I put up rafters and some OSB and crammed a bunch of stuff up in that "attic" space, but that only helped a little.

5 X 11 can be easily cooled with a 10,000 btu portable a/c unit. Put a dryer vent in the wall and exhaust it through that. I have one in my shop as an auxiliary A/C. The portable units seem to be about 50% as efficient as a window unit.

You can also frame a window unit into your wall, but they sometimes leak condensate into your wood work.

An oil-filled radiator heater will keep things toasty and safe in the winter.
Heat pumps don't work worth a damn in Tennessee-it gets too cold.

Run the power to the shed!

People who don't live in the SE can't appreciate the heat. It can be over 100 in the shade, in an enclosed area like a storage shed 120-130, it often gets 170 inside of cars.

A generator and portable AC unit is what I'd do. It is no different than using the AC in my pop-up camper. Even on the hottest days it will cool it down to a comfortable level even with no insulation. Just turn it on about 30 minutes before you start. Running the generator for a few hours as needed won't break the bank.

I'm not sure I'd want to store powder and primers in that much heat though. I'd keep them indoors and take them out when using them.

If you don't want a window unit consider this.

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/floor-ac-unit

I enclosed my garage several years ago and put one of these in it. You'll need to drill a 1/2' hole for the condensation hose and cut another 4" or so hole for the vent. Works just like a dryer vent.

BTW- my advice above will work on one, 20 amp 110v breaker.
You will only be using The A/C in summer, or the oil-filled heater in winter, a light bulb or two and maybe a radio.
Keep the temperature constant all year-round. If the A/C has an "energy saver" setting, it will only run when necessary.

I think it's been established that climate control is a good idea for a reloading room.

That said, I think we're done with this one. I have no doubt that there's a whole, wide universe of HVAC forums out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back